Bedtime Routine, Advice Please

MTG

May 22, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Parrots
Quaker Parrot,
Congo African Grey
I have two birds, and every night at around 9 pm I put them to bed. the same routine every time, I play some calm music give the cage a small tidy up and change the water, etc. then I cover just the tops of their cages and shut off the lights. I have a nightlight too as one of them is prone to night terrors.

My issue is that this weekend I will be babysitting my nephew at my sister's house, and will need to be there past midnight. I would like some advice on what to do about bedtime. My main concern is that I have had some issues with one of my birds plucking for just over a year now. we have managed to get her to stop the plucking finally and she is better now, but they are still growing back in. I am scared that putting her to bed too late or early will make her relapse into plucking again.

What do you guys think?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I'm well familiar with this issue. I put my Salty to bed the same way and time every night. 9:00 we finish up training, 9:30 dim lights, 10:00 i put him to bed w/cover on cage. With one exception. Tues nights, I go to a jam session and dont get back until 10:30 or so, some times later. SO no training session and the timing is all screwed up. What I do is follow the sequence, ie dim light for 30 min and then off to bed.

For you, since this is just a 1x deal, I would put them to bed early, but use the same sequence as normal.

OP
M

MTG

May 22, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Parrots
Quaker Parrot,
Congo African Grey
I'm well familiar with this issue. I put my Salty to bed the same way and time every night. 9:00 we finish up training, 9:30 dim lights, 10:00 i put him to bed w/cover on cage. With one exception. Tues nights, I go to a jam session and dont get back until 10:30 or so, some times later. SO no training session and the timing is all screwed up. What I do is follow the sequence, ie dim light for 30 min and then off to bed.

For you, since this is just a 1x deal, I would put them to bed early, but use the same sequence as normal.
yes, I think I am going to have to. hopefully early will be less stressful for her than going late

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I try to do a little early for my bird too rather than too late.

No major reason, but it seems a bit easier on him than him trying to sleep with lights on.

Most Reactions

Latest posts