been researching for months.....found a cage

Haven

Oct 13, 2010
ok so I have been working on learning for over two months, and I have settled on a small parrotlet to search for.
BUT I was at an auction today and they had a 6ft tall 6 sided aviary, that was in beautiful condition, 1/2 bar spacing.
WAAAAY more cage than I need for one little parrotlet that I am looking for. (nearly impossible to find here in Wisconsin I am learning)

But for $35 I brought it home with me, LOL

Of course I will disinfect it before I put a bird in it but I certainly have lots of room for toys! and the little guy who finally comes home with me should not feel cramped.

See everyone has told me to get the largest cage you can afford.
Everything I read says to get the largest cage you can afford.

Wellll I could afford this one. Think there is such a thing as TOO big?

If anyone knows of a good parrotlet breeder or a tame bird in Wisconsin area that needs a home please let me know????

Thanks
Anne

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
I see nothing wrong with a nice overly large cage for the bird. Sometimes a bird that small likes to feel more confined for sleeping and such, but maybe instead of getting him a sleep cage that's smaller, you could find a snuggie that he could snuggle up in at night time.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I don't think there's ever such a thing as too big but I must agree with Lisa, a snuggle hut/cozy hut would be very beneficial for sleeping.

My sun conure has a huge cage designed for an african gray that she has as a "play den". She has a smaller cage to sleep in.

Additionally, a smaller cage to begin with would not over awe the bird. I was advised this as my sun was an aviary baby. I'm very glad I took the advice because otherwise, I don't think we'd have been able to have built our relationship to what it is now. I think if she had been put in a huge cage before we bonded, I would have been left chatting to empty space and would never have been able to give treats by hand.

I could be entirely wrong on that, but that is my experience of it.

Good luck!

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Sounds like a GREAT deal...and a beautiful place to play for your little guy! I also recommend a smaller cage for sleeping, or a sleep area in the big cage. You're actually going to need a smaller cage for travelling, vet visits, etc...so maybe use for sleeping as well.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I don't think there's ever such a thing as too big but I must agree with Lisa, a snuggle hut/cozy hut would be very beneficial for sleeping.

My sun conure has a huge cage designed for an african gray that she has as a "play den". She has a smaller cage to sleep in.

Additionally, a smaller cage to begin with would not over awe the bird. I was advised this as my sun was an aviary baby. I'm very glad I took the advice because otherwise, I don't think we'd have been able to have built our relationship to what it is now. I think if she had been put in a huge cage before we bonded, I would have been left chatting to empty space and would never have been able to give treats by hand.

I could be entirely wrong on that, but that is my experience of it.

Good luck!

I agree with Von's advice, if you can start with a smaller cage, it will make things much easier in the begining, once you have a good one on one relationship you can move your new fid (fid=feathered kid) to the larger cage, you may still want to use the smaller cage as a sleep cage as many members do, it often gives birds a sense of security, keep up the research and good luck on choosing a companion bird thats right for you :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts