Behavior question...

pinacolada

Dec 29, 2011
Ca, SF area
Parrots
Amazons: Chucky & Holly Parakeets: Oliver & Lucky
Hi , I am new to the site and I have a few questions. I own 2 Amazons, one is Chucky a blue front Amazon around 21 y.o. and the other is Holly a yellow naped Amazon 30y.o. I got Chucky 6y ago and Holly 5 month ago. My question is about Holly. I am Holly's 3rd owner. The previous owner had Holly for 10 y and wanted to re-home her because they started a family (has a 3 y.o. and a baby) and did not have time for Holly. They were asking a very low re-homing fee ($250) and had lots of candidates. I had a very long interview with them and lots of questions to answer. They said that will let me know who they choose in a few days after they talked to everybody. It was obvious that they loved Holly and wanted a good home for her. One of the concern they had was what will happens if Holly and Chucky will not get along. I told them that I'll keep her no matter what. To make a long story short they did not choose me. I was sad and found myself thinking a lot about Holly and how she would have fit in the house and our family. About a week later I got a call from Holly's owners asking me if I am still interested in Holly because the deal did not worked out with the person they choose. So this is how Holly came into my family. She meant to be mine :).
In the beginning Holly was very scared and biting a lot but little by little she got used with me and we were best of friends. She loves to be pet. Here is a video of her [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahkgGdKevM]Holly loves to be pet - YouTube[/ame] I posted it on you tube so the previous owners can see it.
Everything was going well but 2 weeks ago Holly all of the sudden when I went to her in the morning to talk to her, she jumped at me and attacked me biting my hand very hard. My wounds are healing but part of my thumb is still numb. She was out of cage at that time. She gets in and out of cage as she pleases. That day and a few days after, anytime I came close to her while she was out of the cage she was all feathered out and making hissing noises. In a few occasion I had to lock her in her cage. While in the cage she was coming to the edge of her perch with the head down so I can scratch her head and she was not biting. But otherwise I could not touch her. Now she is all herself and I have no problem to take her or play with her. I want to know if this is a normal behavior since I never experience this with Chucky.

Sorry, for the long post.
Pat

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think it might be hormonal. Be aware that on that same day next year it might happen again. At least with a female it doesn't happen for days or weeks on end (usually it's one day or two). I've heard you should mark it on your calender so you'll be aware next year when it could happen again.

Since she's gone back to normal that is my best guess. And at her age it may stop completely soon. Although she is now in a house with a male amazon so that may inspire her despite her being in her later years breeding wise.

OP
P

pinacolada

Dec 29, 2011
Ca, SF area
Parrots
Amazons: Chucky & Holly Parakeets: Oliver & Lucky
Thanks. Oh, I forgot to mention that, that day I woke up with a terrible pain in my neck muscle and I was screaming at every move I took. Could that scared her? If so why it took her so many days to come to normal?
I do not Know for sure if she is a female or Chucky is a male. Never had the blood test done. Are there any visual distinguished characteristics for male /female Amazons? I know for parakeets you look at their cere. I have 2 of those too (Oliver and Lucky)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I would leave the petting to the head and neck area....

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
No, amazons have no distinguishing physical characteristics to tell apart male/female. Avian Biotech will send you free DNA kits if you do want to know. They can do it with blood or feathers and it's inexpensive: $19-25 I think is what I saw depending on what kind of test you want to do. I just ordered both myself so I can find out with my zon.

Yes, it is quite possible that the bird was frightened by your pain. It can take them a long time to get over a fright.

And yes, I only pet the head and neck areas. My zon is courting me as it is. I don't want to encourage him!

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Homone, new home and new peoble. So just take it easy from now on. If he is doing as you like him to do then he can be outside the cage, othervise not, a surgestion. You are in charge, not him

Most Reactions

Latest posts