Behavior suggestions please

Farrahls

Mar 6, 2022
Parrots
Galah & SC COCKATOO
Hi All,
I'm a vet nurse and currently have a galah and a sulphur crested cockatoo.
My too, holds her ankle/foot when being petted. Wondering if this is a self soothing or anxiety gesture.
My galah has learnt this off my too.
My SC is 37 and came from a traumatic background and only been with me for 2 weeks.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm not sure.. I don't own 'toos or have experience. Hopefully another 'too owner will see this..

I'l try tag some cockatoo owners

@Scott
@Ria.345

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hi All,
I'm a vet nurse and currently have a galah and a sulphur crested cockatoo.
My too, holds her ankle/foot when being petted. Wondering if this is a self soothing or anxiety gesture.
My galah has learnt this off my too.
My SC is 37 and came from a traumatic background and only been with me for 2 weeks.
Hi. Sometimes cockatoos or parrots in general will do these kinds of gestures in reaction to soothing stimuli such as petting. It can be a learned behavior such as with your galah seeing your SC doing it, or knowing that your other bird has had a traumatic past, it can also be some sort of “coping mechanism” in dealing with certain situations. And he just picked up the behavior and it became a habit by then. Some other times, (not to scare you) it could be soemthing irritating their feet and in that case it would have to be checked out. (That’s like if they are chewing their feet or holding it with their mouths) Most likely it is just psychological.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Are you able to post a pic or video? Likely a gesture of contentment presuming the petting is enjoyable. (you'd know if it was not!) Considering a senior bird having experienced trauma, all sorts of baggage possible during acclimation aka "honeymoon" process.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
All above excellent

I've also seen it as a way a parrot convinces a person they won't bite you while petting: see my beak is busy. Or they will hold a perch or cage bars to convince you its ok to pet them ( or naughty one to trick you into thinking its ok)

Would love to see pictures of your birdies!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Quaker grooms his feet and toenails when he’s getting a good head or beak rub. He doesn’t seem upset; I think sometimes he’s purring. It looks awkward to me but he appears to be happy. ?

Most Reactions