Tesla

Jun 10, 2014
Prince George, British Columbia Canada
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Harlequin Macaw
Green Cheek Conure
Hi All
I have recently adopted an 11 year old harlequin Macaw. We have no issues with him at all other than trying to get him on a healthy diet.
Oscar climbs of his play stand and sits behind me on the back of our couch, he will pace back and forth and seems to pump his wings in and out about a quarter of the way, he will then tap me on my head with his beak or grab my head with his foot. When I put my hand up to him he gives a little squawk and mouths my hand with is beak then drops his head for a pet and lets me pet him till my arm gets tired. I guess I don't understand the pacing and and wing flapping. is this aggressive behaviour with a Macaw? Is it just him demanding attention?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but although I have had many years with birds , this is my first Macaw.

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
You have answered your own question, he is just wanting attention from you. Why not just take him off his perch when you are heading to the couch and give him his cuddles and stop making him pace back and forth to get your attention? He can't be any more obvious about his desires than he already is.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You have answered your own question, he is just wanting attention from you. Why not just take him off his perch when you are heading to the couch and give him his cuddles and stop making him pace back and forth to get your attention? He can't be any more obvious about his desires than he already is.

Yep! Exactly...

And to make it easier, if it doesn't involve a blood draw or an attempted blood draw with a macaw, it's probably about getting your attention...

OP
T

Tesla

Jun 10, 2014
Prince George, British Columbia Canada
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
Harlequin Macaw
Green Cheek Conure
Okay then, I have had him just over 2 weeks and he was with his other owner for the full 11 years. I guess I was expecting more of a issue building his trust.
He readily comes to anyone but he is actively seeking me out and follows me and my 3 year old grandson around. Don't get me wrong I love the fact that he has accepted me so well. I am not sure how to give him more attention as I am with him all day every day as I work from home and when I am on the couch he as I have stated follows me over and paces on the Back behind my head, I can reach up and pet him with out any problems but if I bring him down in front of me where it would be much easier to give him the attention he seems to want, he immediately climbs back up to the back of the couch and starts pacing again. Only once has he nestled on my chest for a prolonged pet.
I am constantly interacting with him and he really wants to be on my shoulder but once there he is reluctant to leave so I am trying to work on that issue.

Any advise with dealing with him is greatly appreciated. As I have said this is my first macaw and so far he is much different than any of my other birds.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Okay then, I have had him just over 2 weeks and he was with his other owner for the full 11 years. I guess I was expecting more of a issue building his trust. He readily comes to anyone but he is actively seeking me out and follows me and my 3 year old grandson around. Don't get me wrong I love the fact that he has accepted me so well.

THESE ARE THE ACTIONS OF A MUSH MAC... THIS BIRD HAS BEEN PROPERLY SOCIALIZED. THAT IS HOW THEY BEHAVE. THIS BIRD IS A FIND!!!

I am not sure how to give him more attention as I am with him all day every day as I work from home and when I am on the couch he as I have stated follows me over and paces on the Back behind my head, I can reach up and pet him with out any problems but if I bring him down in front of me where it would be much easier to give him the attention he seems to want, he immediately climbs back up to the back of the couch and starts pacing again.

THAT JUST MEANS HE IS USED TO BEING A SHOULDER BIRD.

Only once has he nestled on my chest for a prolonged pet.

IT'S ONLY BEEN TWO WEEKS. GIVE IT TIME FOR THIS ONE... THERE'S SOMEONE ON THE BOARD THAT HASN'T HAD EVEN THAT MUCH AFTER FOUR YEARS... SO, TWO WEEKS MEANS IT'S COMING. THE FLOOD GATES WILL OPEN...

I am constantly interacting with him and he really wants to be on my shoulder but once there he is reluctant to leave so I am trying to work on that issue.

MINE PULLS WHAT I CALL THE "BIRDIE BACKPACK" MOVE LATCHING ONTO MY COLLAR WITH HER BEAK, AND THE SMALL OF MY BACK WITH BOTH FEET... THAT'S MACAW FOR "PLEASE, I WANT TO STAY WITH YOU. DON'T SET ME DOWN." IT'S NORMAL. THEY WANT TO BE WITH YOU...

Any advise with dealing with him is greatly appreciated. As I have said this is my first macaw and so far he is much different than any of my other birds.

YES THEY ARE!

THEY ARE THE MOST TODDLER LIKE OF ALL OF THEM. YOU RAISE A MACAW THE SAME WAY YOU DO A HUMAN TODDLER. NURTURING GUIDANCE, AND BOUNDARY SETTING...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Yep! Exactly...

And to make it easier, if it doesn't involve a blood draw or an attempted blood draw with a macaw, it's probably about getting your attention...

Come to think of it, a good percentage of the attempted blood draws are also nothing more than trying to get your attention...

It's a central theme of a macaw's life.

Erniebird8

Aug 7, 2014
Please consider yourself fortunate. I got my B&G macaws 8 months ago and we are still working on trust. She likes me a lot and knows I am mama; but I can't risk losing everything I have accomplish with her. I am her third companion home and she is only 8 years old. I should be so happy when she steps up or let me pad her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 146

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
He wants love and to be with you for sure. Enjoy it, sounds like your bond is making good process.

ADKCatalina

Aug 3, 2014
ADK
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
Follow Birdman's advice because it is spot on. My mother had 2 B&G's when she passed George and Gracie and I will tell you that Gracie passed shortly there after and George well he lived for 11 more years and passed last year in April when my father passed and I will tell you that George was the most headstrong macaw I've met to this day. I tried a lot of the tips and tricks here and he was still just his own bird and towed his own line. So be thankful that this guy was properly trained and socialized.

Most Reactions

Latest posts