Behavioural issues

StacieB

Feb 25, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Hi everyone, Iā€™m very new to this site and needing some advice on an Indian ring neck I bought for my daughter for her birthday.

So firstly Iā€™m assuming itā€™s a he as he walked sold to me as a he, also Iā€™m assuming heā€™s 18 weeks as he was sold to me as 18 weeks but who knows unless you know when the eggs hatch, I have found quite a few misleading bird sellers out there.

So I get him home and transfer him to his new cage (my daughter named him Kiwi) so Kiwi was understandably very nervous with the mew environment, I gave him space (I got bit on the transfer to the new cage my gosh does THAT hurt haha.

The last owner clipped the flight wings (badly I might add) Iā€™m questioning whether the sissies were blunt! Also the tail feathers have been mangled, so she said he was with a female IRN that didnā€™t like him so possibly sheā€™s done it! But then she has two big dogs so they could be the culprit if the tail feathers went through the bars.

Heā€™s had 24 hours here now, so he turns his back to us when we approach the cage and hangs on to the cage by his beak, if heā€™s sat on the pitch I can actually see him tremble.

So Iā€™m sitting next to him as well speak so he can get use to seeing me and having me around, once heā€™s use to me Iā€™ll open the cage door and allow him to come out.

My question to you all is, should I be concede about his tail feathers? Iā€™m assuming they will grow back, also about his behaviour, does he have a chance at turning around and being more friendly with us so we can tame him.

Thank you in advance :)

OP
S

StacieB

Feb 25, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
82A2EED3-62BF-422B-9183-CF28EF900017.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 75
OP
S

StacieB

Feb 25, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Pictures are above, please excuse mud marks I have a puppy šŸ™„

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm really upset that the previous owners clipped him so badly, it seems that you are a better owner for him! :)

For the behaviour question, just give him some more time, 24 hours is not a long time, he might get tamer but keep in mind not all bird will enjoy human company. There are many threads on taming so I'll go find some and send them to you by making another post.

For the tail question, it'll probably get better when he moults.

Good luck with your new family member! ;)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm really upset that the previous owners clipped him so badly, it seems that you are a better owner for him! :)

For the behaviour question, just give him some more time, 24 hours is not a long time, he might get tamer but keep in mind not all bird will enjoy human company. There are many threads on taming so I'll go find some and send them to you by making another post.

For the tail question, it'll probably get better when he moults.

Good luck with your new family member! ;)

there you go :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your new buddy! I hope you stick around and join in, lots of tips and stuff to learn and people who love parrots.

Long tail burds can have their tails get best up, especially if they were in a small cage before. As above, you will have to wait till molts those out and replaces them.

Here is an article from an IRN breeder

OP
S

StacieB

Feb 25, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Thank you so much for replying these threads have been very helpful. Slow and steady it is. Heā€™s eating so Iā€™m happy. šŸ™‚

Most Reactions