Belated hello

fayah

Feb 16, 2017
I forgot to make a thread introducing myself oops. I'm 23, living in sunny warm Florida (it's been more rainy then anything lately though). I've been a long time bird enthusiast starting from when I had budgies and cockatiels during my grade school years. After my favorite cockatiel that I handfed as a baby died from a respiratory issue of unknown cause, my heart was really broken up and I rehomed my other birds to a family friend when I went off to college

4 years of college later I returned home still trying to work out what I want to do with the next stage of my life while living back at home with my parents and grandparents. I decided to foster some birds which was a great healing experience that prepared me to have some permanent birdy residents in my house again.

Now I have Tica, an umbrella cockatoo who is pretty much a sweetheart. She has a crooked beak and I think her feet are slight deformed with some missing toes, but she gets along just fine. I adopted her from a couple who could no longer take care of her for personal family reasons. I was a bit reluctant to take on a cockatoo because I have fostered one previously and I know they take a LOT of work, but I made the fatal mistake of choosing to meet her before making my decision and my mind was made the moment she stuck her silly feathery head into my shirt. She was so friendly and trusting, and I didn't want that to be ruined by her going into a bad home. Feom my knowledge I am at the very least her 4th home. Her prior owners got her from a breeder who was trying to breed her without luck (it is where she prob got her toe injuries) and the breeder got her from elsewhere. She is supposedly 6 years old but she does not have a band so who knows how old she is truly. My family adores Tica and she will be more of a family pet doted on by everyone. She loves her new life at my place where she is out of her cage 24-7 hanging out with my retired grandparents all day, plus me in the mornings and my parents at night

I am still doing foster work so i am going to have a parrotlet named stitch coming to my house this week. He is appaeently a feather plucker so I will do my best to work with him to improve his habits and help him get adopted into his forever home

And I have an African Grey baby I have a deposit on tentatively named Tobi . I wanted to adopt one but I admittedly got impatient and decided I would have a better chance raising a baby to being well socialized to my entire family. I have made my mind that Tobi will be the last bird I ever buy. He will be coming home near the end of march and lord save me I will have my hands so full training him, giving Tica attention, and working on Stitch as well.

I am afraid some unexpected life change may make it hard for me to keep my birds in my future as I haven't fully decided my career path yet, but I will do my very best to accomodate them into my future plans

Last edited:
OP
F

fayah

Feb 16, 2017
Some pics of the magnificient TicaBird, will post pics of Tobi and Stitch when they get settled

Attachments

• IMG_6081.jpg
    IMG_6081.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_6103.jpg
    IMG_6103.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 164

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Now you are officially welcomed, Fayah! I've enjoyed your posts and wish you all the best in the future. It seems you have been affected by "MBS," Multiple Bird Syndrome! Hope you are sufficiently able to guide your future to include all of your feathered children. Longevity of some species is so great they may span the arc of your life into middle-age. What a mind-bender!!

Thanks for the beautiful pics!!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello and welcome! I have to say that second pic is SOOO sweet ! ^_^ what a sweet cockatoo! You certainly got lucky with Tica.

You certainly have your hands full with the 'too and the baby Grey on the way, but how very exciting for you to be getting back into the parot ownership game! So glad you found us :)

OP
F

fayah

Feb 16, 2017
Now you are officially welcomed, Fayah! I've enjoyed your posts and wish you all the best in the future. It seems you have been affected by "MBS," Multiple Bird Syndrome! Hope you are sufficiently able to guide your future to include all of your feathered children. Longevity of some species is so great they may span the arc of your life into middle-age. What a mind-bender!!

Thanks for the beautiful pics!!

MBS is a frightening disease! Very crippling to your free time. Twice the poop and twice the personality haha

I am hoping for my birds to be around late into my life. It does slightly ruin my retirement plan of moving to singapore to retire but Florida is quite nice and warm too. And with cheaper housing and cost of living lol

OP
F

fayah

Feb 16, 2017
Hello and welcome! I have to say that second pic is SOOO sweet ! ^_^ what a sweet cockatoo! You certainly got lucky with Tica.

You certainly have your hands full with the 'too and the baby Grey on the way, but how very exciting for you to be getting back into the parot ownership game! So glad you found us :)

Thank you! It's nice having other bird people to talk about. I'm sad there isn't a local bird owner club or meetup anywhere close to me but at least I have internet forums haha.

Tica is one of the sweetest Cockatoos I've worked with, but even then she still sasses me like 80% of the time and acts all innocent about it :white1:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Greetings!
I got my bird when I was in college, and I'm now retired.
What a journey...
Welcome aboard.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome, Fayah! What a darling Umbie, sweet photos! Best of luck with your new adventure, enjoy the journey!

OP
F

fayah

Feb 16, 2017
Greetings!
I got my bird when I was in college, and I'm now retired.
What a journey...
Welcome aboard.

This is my goal in the future! I have quite a few years to go but it's reassuring to see other people have managed it!

Oh welcome and welcome, I love the pictures! Beautiful!

Thank you! I hope to have many more of her over the years <3

Welcome, Fayah! What a darling Umbie, sweet photos! Best of luck with your new adventure, enjoy the journey!

Thank you! I love Tica, I would have never pegged myself as a cockatoo person because I was absolutely scared of large birds when I was young but here I am now giving kisses to that sweet beak haha. Life totally takes unexpected paths and I look forward to experiencing it with my birds

Welcome, what part of Florida?

North Florida
I've tried to find other bird people near me but not much luck besides my local avian vet clinic 3:
Is central florida where all the fun is at?

Sfsal

Feb 20, 2017
I am also looking for a good avian vet I live in St. Petersburg Florida any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

fayah

Feb 16, 2017
I am also looking for a good avian vet I live in St. Petersburg Florida any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The power of google recommends Bayshore animal hospital. They at least seem to have an avian certified vet?

OP
F

fayah

Feb 16, 2017
Aand Stitch has just landed. Poor guy is fairly plucked and terrified of me as I had to help towel him for transport to my house, then again to the vet. I am doing some trust building exercises with him but I feel he may be one of my longer students. I also started to put spme zupreem fruit pellets and offerings of veggies...it appears he is at least nibbling them so I am hopeful

I am concerned about the recent cold weather for his tiny less feathered body, i really am offended at ur weather florida where is my usual warm sunshine??? What is with all these rainy cold breezes all day

Attachments

• IMG_6132.jpg
    IMG_6132.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 74

Most Reactions

Latest posts