Bell Peppers

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
Sencha, my GCC, is VERY fond of bell peppers (I think they're called "capsicum" or "sweet peppers" in some places). Not the green ones, though--he only likes the red and yellow ones.

My concern is that these go right through him--quickly and messily. This doesn't seem to cause him any stress, but it worries me a little.

Is this normal for this food? Should I stop feeding these to him? I'd have stopped already except that they're one of a very short list of vegetables that he really likes.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try hot peppers the hottest you can find Parrots usually love them, and they are very good for them. Parrots have 1 taste bud for a hundred of ours, so what blazing hot for us is merely tangy to them. My basic chop recipe is like 1/4 hot peppers, habanero, ghost or jalapenos.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Try to remember though, if he's eating those hot peppers... Be careful about beaky kisses. Been there, done that, not fun! 🤣

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Try to remember though, if he's eating those hot peppers... Be careful about beaky kisses. Been there, done that, not fun! 🤣
Oh I can relate! When I was like, I don't know, 7? I had a senegal parrot, and I remember playing with her and my brother, and I got Chilli in my eyes because it was in her seed mix and I touched my eye after touching her😭.

That was painful to say the least, lol.

Back to @anaximander's question, capsicum has a lot of vitamin C, and birds can make their own vitamin C. So I reccomend feeding less of it. Thry shouldn't have a lot of vitamin C.

Have you tried feeding him green veggies with a similar texture? Slightly green bell peppers is a good start, as he dislikes fully green bell peppers, after that you can start feeding him greener bell peppers, then you can feed him other green veggies.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Peppers, but especially bell peppers, a food with a lot of moisture (not unlike leafy greens) and can therefore cause slightly more watery poop. Peppers are my amazons favorite, especially sweet peppers, and he also has watery stool after eating several peppers. Chop can also change stool color; especially red peppers or beets.

Most Reactions

Latest posts