so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bella has gone back to plucking (her chest feathers) and barbering her wing feathers.

As near as I can tell she does this twice a year.
Just in time for winter cold weather and somewhere around the middle of summer.

She has also been behaving a bit differently. Not worrying but different.
For instance. when sitting in the kitchen she repeatedly fly's out into the living room
does a 180 and goes back into the kitchen. I get the feeling she is checking on us.

I have noticed she is playing a little bit with her cage toys (one or two at least).
But what is odd is she does this near night time. She also talks and makes noises
to/at her toys when playing with them.

I have mentioned how Bella wont poop on my wife but does not extend the same curtesy to me.
There is one situation that she does refrain from.... being rude.
When giving Bella a Red Butt Shower she wont poop in the shower until I turn off the water and leave the shower stall.
It's a small step but I will take it.
Texsize

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Bella has gone back to plucking (her chest feathers) and barbering her wing feathers.

For instance. when sitting in the kitchen she repeatedly fly's out into the living room
does a 180 and goes back into the kitchen. I get the feeling she is checking on us.

I have noticed she is playing a little bit with her cage toys (one or two at least).
But what is odd is she does this near night time. She also talks and makes noises

I have mentioned how Bella wont poop on my wife but does not extend the same curtesy to me.
When giving Bella a Red Butt Shower she wont poop in the shower until I turn off the water and leave the shower stall.
Texsize
Bella has come a long way Wes..has your Missus tried to interact with her yet?

Jim

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
plucking sucks. I've given up on Penny stopping. I know she is happy, has me and her bird buddies, a good diet, out if cage usually 8 hrs a day, snuggle time, baths free choice, toys, chew stuff, vet care. 11 hours if sleep time So awww while typing she just flew to me Carring a snack! Looks like a banana chip. ;)
so what else can we do???

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bella has come a long way Wes..has your Missus tried to interact with her yet?

Jim
My wife is Bella's favorite person. Bella spends part of almost every day getting scratches from my wife.

When my wife gets up in the morning and Bella hears her she fly' s to the entrance of the bedroom and hangs from the door jam until I remove her or my wife gets up.

Bella gets attention from everyone in the house (including Merlin) and can be carried by or ride the shoulder of my Son or myself.

Right now I am thinking her feather plucking may be partly related to molting.
She acts like she is itchy and uncomfortable.
I think she does this twice a year so it could be matching up with biannual molting. It might help if I could give her more bath's but She will only take a bath if it's her idea.

I know she is happy with us and better off than with the original owner (I am sick of you indeed one of the few things she knew how to say) But it hurts me to see her do it.
It hurts me to see all these little snips of feathers all over.
At least she has not done permanent damage to the feather follicles.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015

Texsize
Mine has a very consistent routine in which she plays with toys each evening or preens herself.
It’s always working the same 10 minute time frame each night.

I think routines and patterns of behavior are inherent to their individual personalities.

Most Reactions

Latest posts