Best chain for a alexadrine??

ramarieat

Mar 15, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Parrots
Alexandrine parrot (Loki)
Hi,
I have an Alexandrian called Loki, he's two.
Don't worry i don't want to chain him up (yet!lol)
I'm after a chain he can't bite through, whenever i get him a toy on a chain it takes him less than half an hour to open the links on the chain and destroy the toy he's the same with rings that attach toys some how he gets them open and everything falls off.
So i either have to only buy toys on rope or string our buy the toy then dismantle it and rebuild using rope or string.
Please help, any suggestions greatly received.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi,
I have an Alexandrian called Loki, he's two.
Don't worry i don't want to chain him up (yet!lol)
I'm after a chain he can't bite through, whenever i get him a toy on a chain it takes him less than half an hour to open the links on the chain and destroy the toy he's the same with rings that attach toys some how he gets them open and everything falls off.
So i either have to only buy toys on rope or string our buy the toy then dismantle it and rebuild using rope or string.
Please help, any suggestions greatly received.
Try the rope and chain isle at Lowes or Home Depot and buy steel chain by the foot.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I save all the chains from toys that Salty destroys, especially the ones with welded links - can't get those open! Stainless (best) or Chrome/Nickel plated (second best) only - no zinc plated steel! I use the double loop type of rings mostly (like on keychains), some deal as the chain for materials. I use the used ones to be the guts of new toys I make

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I save all the chains from toys that Salty destroys, especially the ones with welded links - can't get those open! Stainless (best) or Chrome/Nickel plated (second best) only - no zinc plated steel! I use the double loop type of rings mostly (like on keychains), some deal as the chain for materials. I use the used ones to be the guts of new toys I make
What about the chains used for large dog "choke chains"? They would seem to be very strong and safe, too.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Large dog? THats over kill IMHO. Leash type for a small dog should be sufficient, as long as its not just a zinc plated one. Good idea Donna!

OP
ramarieat

ramarieat

Mar 15, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Parrots
Hi,
Thanks for the ideas.
I changed all the metal rings for stainless steel keyring rings and he can still get things off then they end up looking like a spiral when he's finished with them ,the only things he can't open or get things off are the stainless steel wire rings that close with a thread so I use them a lot lol.
As for the chains it's finding ones thin enough that you can put the wooden parts of toys on them , I'll have to look for the welded one's cos that's the problem he manages to get his beak into the join of a link even if there's no gap and it feels totally smooth then he prises it open and pushes the other link off then once the chain is in pieces and mostly on the floor he goes for the metal rings that are holding the rest of the toy together and does the same , I've seen him destroy a toy in less than ten minutes and I worry incase he swallows a link, he never has so far he's very good about spitting them out but I still worry.
He just loved to destroy things ,you give him a fruit skewer and before you can blink it's in pieces in the floor and he hasn't even eaten more than a bite or two , solid wood wardrobe no problem for his beak, I've had to disguise it with a blanket just so he'll stop trying to finish it off lol, lampshades even the wire holding them up lol, I've had to go around the whole place and wrap all the light fittings with foam covered in vet wrap so he can't chew through them , mobile phone screens (flip phone screen destroyed can't get the parts in the UK to repair to expensive), perches( I once left a perch just to see what he'd do and he chewed it until there was only about an inch left , i didn't want to leave it any longer as he would have only tried to eat the metal fastener and I've also had to cover the top of the tv to stop him trying to eat the screen I wouldn't mind but he has plenty of toys to chew and I always buy him new ones so I can rotate them so he doesn't get bored.
It's a good job I love the little spoilt bugger
This is the phone screen after 5 second in his beak. IMG_20220730_181506.jpg
IMG_20230611_120601.jpg Xx

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
With a chew response like that one needn't worry about him ever plucking! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Split links can also get wedged on a side of the beak too. I also use the screw type of links, the ones that are teardrop shaped should always have the big end down, the thin end can trap a parrot foot, I know this from experience. ANd they all need periodic tightening,

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi,
Thanks for the ideas.
I changed all the metal rings for stainless steel keyring rings and he can still get things off then they end up looking like a spiral when he's finished with them ,the only things he can't open or get things off are the stainless steel wire rings that close with a thread so I use them a lot lol.
As for the chains it's finding ones thin enough that you can put the wooden parts of toys on them , I'll have to look for the welded one's cos that's the problem he manages to get his beak into the join of a link even if there's no gap and it feels totally smooth then he prises it open and pushes the other link off then once the chain is in pieces and mostly on the floor he goes for the metal rings that are holding the rest of the toy together and does the same , I've seen him destroy a toy in less than ten minutes and I worry incase he swallows a link, he never has so far he's very good about spitting them out but I still worry.
He just loved to destroy things ,you give him a fruit skewer and before you can blink it's in pieces in the floor and he hasn't even eaten more than a bite or two , solid wood wardrobe no problem for his beak, I've had to disguise it with a blanket just so he'll stop trying to finish it off lol, lampshades even the wire holding them up lol, I've had to go around the whole place and wrap all the light fittings with foam covered in vet wrap so he can't chew through them , mobile phone screens (flip phone screen destroyed can't get the parts in the UK to repair to expensive), perches( I once left a perch just to see what he'd do and he chewed it until there was only about an inch left , i didn't want to leave it any longer as he would have only tried to eat the metal fastener and I've also had to cover the top of the tv to stop him trying to eat the screen I wouldn't mind but he has plenty of toys to chew and I always buy him new ones so I can rotate them so he doesn't get bored.
It's a good job I love the little spoilt bugger
This is the phone screen after 5 second in his beak.View attachment 51402
View attachment 51403 Xx
That's one impressive beak! I hope he's gentle on human skin.

OP
ramarieat

ramarieat

Mar 15, 2022
Nottinghamshire
Parrots
That's one impressive beak! I hope he's gentle on human skin.
Urmmmm 😳
Well I want to say yes as even with everything he can do to his toys even when he's annoyed at me he doesn't bite its more of a sqweek and a lite chomp where he closes his beak around my finger with no pressure then straight away released it ....... ...........

Buuuuttt last week my daughter in law came to trim his nails ( they weren't long but sharp ) ,she works in the birds section of a local pet shop and she came to trim them at my place to save the stress of putting him in his carrier to go to the shop to do them, she wrapped him in a towel and gave him to my son to hold while she clipped his nails,anyway he wasnt a happybunny ( he's molting so he can be a bit of a snarky pants) and he managed to get his head free and clamped down on her finger and would not let go 🫣 luckily she's very calm and managed to eventually get him to release her but by then there was a fairly deep bite that poured with blood 😱 for a bit but we got it cleaned up and wrapped and luckily he didn't do any damage and its completely healed now and as bad as it was I still feel that if he had wanted to he could have done a hell of a lot more damage and he is only a baby he'll be two this month and this is the first time he's done anything like this.
So now I've included a new activity to his training I call it "nails " where I have started to get him used to a nail file touching his nails, it started with just me touching his nails now I'm at a nail file touching them hopefully soon he'll even let me file them.
I guess that's the risk you take when you belong to these beautiful birds:green2:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Urmmmm 😳
Well I want to say yes as even with everything he can do to his toys even when he's annoyed at me he doesn't bite its more of a sqweek and a lite chomp where he closes his beak around my finger with no pressure then straight away released it ....... ...........

Buuuuttt last week my daughter in law came to trim his nails ( they weren't long but sharp ) ,she works in the birds section of a local pet shop and she came to trim them at my place to save the stress of putting him in his carrier to go to the shop to do them, she wrapped him in a towel and gave him to my son to hold while she clipped his nails,anyway he wasnt a happybunny ( he's molting so he can be a bit of a snarky pants) and he managed to get his head free and clamped down on her finger and would not let go 🫣 luckily she's very calm and managed to eventually get him to release her but by then there was a fairly deep bite that poured with blood 😱 for a bit but we got it cleaned up and wrapped and luckily he didn't do any damage and its completely healed now and as bad as it was I still feel that if he had wanted to he could have done a hell of a lot more damage and he is only a baby he'll be two this month and this is the first time he's done anything like this.
So now I've included a new activity to his training I call it "nails " where I have started to get him used to a nail file touching his nails, it started with just me touching his nails now I'm at a nail file touching them hopefully soon he'll even let me file them.
I guess that's the risk you take when you belong to these beautiful birds:green2:
Judging on what he can do to chains he certainly could have done more damage. You can't really blame him- I wouldn't want to be toweled by a giant two legged silly creature either! Sounds like your SIL is a good sport!

Most Reactions

Latest posts