Best friend to Bully... then back again

peachface

Mar 23, 2014
ON, Canada
Parrots
2 peachfaced lovebirds
1 Pearly Conure
Hi! I have two adorable peachfaced lovebirds. They are 8 months old and siblings. I was told they're brother and sister, but it hasn't been confirmed by a DNA test.

I got Abbi and Louie when they were 2.5 months old, weaned, with black still on their beaks. They were BEST friends. Always together, either playing or cuddling. Within the last month or so, Abbi has started being mean to Louie. She chases him around the cage, gets upset and snaps at him a lot, and jumps at him. Then the next day they're snuggling and playing nicely again. I have a "Bird Lady Friend" who used to breed lovebirds, and has several parrots. I told her I found a little spot on Louie's foot that looked like Abbi nipped at him, and she told me this behavior is normal - lovebird pairs fight, and Abbi is just showing Louie she's in charge.

Yesterday I took them for their first vet visit to get their nails and wings clipped. **I used to be a member of a forum that believes clipping a bird's wings is animal cruelty and anyone who does it is a terrible person, so I left. I really believe it is our responsibility as pet owners to do what is best for the birds in our home and our care, and this was a personal decision I did not take lightly. I believe a clipped bird is better than a dead bird, and this is not a topic I want to debate with anyone.** Just had to get that out of the way :)

They hated their trip to the vet (as did I), and they spent the next 24 hours cuddling... then tonight while Louie was out playing on top of the cage, Abbi was trying to bite his toes through the bars. I didn't see until later that she drew blood. He had a cut on his toe, and was holding it up.

I felt so awful that she would hurt him, but I also see him nipping at her toes sometimes, and I'm just very confused about what to think, or do about this.

The two are normally so crazy about each other, and she hates being along in the cage without him. I'm also afraid separating them would be devastating for them, and honestly, they're not tame enough to let them out together and put them back in their own cages. (I've been working with them, but progress has been pretty slow. I would have to grab them and I don't ever want to do that. Right now we have a routine, and they're really good with me when it's time to go in their cage.)

I would really like to hear opinions from people who have lovebirds, or have experienced this in the past. I appreciate input!

Do you think this is just normal "lovebirds will fight" behavior, or is Abbi a bully who should be housed alone?

(The pictures were taken recently. The cuddling one is from yesterday after their vet visit.)

Attachments

• feb-2.JPG
    feb-2.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 230
  • mar-14-sm.jpg
    mar-14-sm.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 187

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Abbi & Louie are beautiful:)
If Abbi is hurting Louie, I think that the time may have come to separate them. Is the cage they are in big enough to put a divider in? That way they would still be able to see each other and interact, and Abbi couldn't get to Louie.
Also, I just wanted to mention that I am glad you joined us, and no judgement here:)
That is one of the many things I love so much about this forum.

Mishcka

Feb 11, 2014
Nashville
Parrots
Cookatoo
Ohh look how cute they are :) I know not a thing about love birds I just wanted to say how cute they are.

OP
P

peachface

Mar 23, 2014
ON, Canada
Parrots
2 peachfaced lovebirds
1 Pearly Conure
Thanks for your input. I'll have to think about the best way to do this. The cage is quite large, but dividing it would make two tall, narrow cages. It would be better to put the divider halfway down and have two stacked cages, but then they couldn't be beside each other. It's disappointing, cause it's a new cage I got for a great deal, and now I'll have to replace it or get a 2nd.

I spoke to the vet this afternoon about Abbi. She thinks it could be hormones, and says it's normal for lovebirds to fight. She suggested getting two of everything in the cage, so they won't fight over one thing. It's such a tough call, because most of the time they're getting along, and honestly, I don't have room for two cages this size. BUT I want to do what's best for them. I think shopping for a divided cage would be the best call.

And thanks, they are beautiful. :)

OP
P

peachface

Mar 23, 2014
ON, Canada
Parrots
2 peachfaced lovebirds
1 Pearly Conure
A little update... since bringing them home from the vet (and having their wings clipped) my birds have gone back to being the best of friends! They are constantly playing or cuddling.

They have had to adjust to not being able to fly all around the room anymore, but are doing quite well flying with clipped wings. They are learning how far they can go in one "trip" and still get a lot of exercise flying back and forth between their cage and different items in the room.

Anyway, I hope Abbi's bullying was just a phase, because separating them now would be a disaster.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so happy to hear that they are getting along again - hopefully it was just an aberration:)
Please post more pics when you have time, I love pictures:)

OP
P

peachface

Mar 23, 2014
ON, Canada
Parrots
2 peachfaced lovebirds
1 Pearly Conure
Abbi looking adorable

Attachments

• abbi-apr14.jpg
    abbi-apr14.jpg