Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
What's the easiest way to clean a rope perch? There's gotta be a better technique I'm not aware of.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
This was just discussed few days ago or so....boiling or put in dish washer depending if just to clean or complete disinfect.

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
How long do you soak them for in the soapy water?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I use our hand held shower, we can adjust it to all different sprays, so I shoot all the crud off pretty quickly.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I soak mine, and the amount of time for me depends on how much crud is on there and how big it is. Usually it takes about 15 minutes or so:)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Lol! I throw then out. I know, wasteful. But they get raggedy quickly.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
How about drying it?
For the soaking or dishwasher method, since it gets completely wet it seems like it would take a long time to dry inside if left to air dry. Put in clothes dryer??

Last edited:

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Scrub off the chunky bits, soak in F10 or similar liquid disinfectant for 2 hours, take out and dry in the sun/warmth until completely dry (usually overnight)
:)

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
I usually soak my boings overnight and then hang outside in the sun to completely dry. Never had any problems using this method.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Me too, Amanda! We're lucky to have the hot Australian sun to dry our bird stuff quickly.

There! I've said one good thing about the heat. May it be the last time I ever do that! Whew! Stinking hot here today!

The one I have trouble with is the white limy deposit that gets on plastic or bead toys and will not soak off no matter what you use. Any ideas for that???

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Hey Trish. Bundii does not have many plastic toys so I am not so sure on that question. Have you tried vinegar or lemon juice?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I throw mine in the washing machine with a little soap and let it air dry. I do all the rope perches and boings at once to get a full load.

Most Reactions

Latest posts