Best way to get two birds not to kill each other?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The title says it all. My QP Tony came first and it wasn't too long after I got Thomas my GCC, I thought of their both pretty young, they'll like each other, but nope! I've tried several ways to reintroduce them, I took them both out set them both on the floor and the first thing Tony did was run over to Tom and try to bite his feet, then Tom got mad and they were about to fight before I got them apart. Tony isn't all that innocent, btw, before I got Tom, I had been trying to get him used to my budgies and cockatiels, so I let them all out and left Tony in his cage (in my room) I watched them land on his cage and he just seemed mildly curious about the budgies, but Grim one of my female budgie landed directly over him and well...he bit her talon off, she's all good now, this was a few months ago, but I don't want a repeat of that. I can only get them out one at a time, they're cages are about 6 feet apart in the day, but they are right next to each other at night. How can I get them to at least tolerate each other?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
id put acrylic on the tops if all the cages if they are flat top. To prevent toe amputation.

QP can be bullies and unfortunately GCC don't back down. So it can be a bad combo.

That said I feel you can get a flock dynamic going . Parrot like other birds can mix flock forage.
Its about have space to retreat, lots of perches I think I have 30 for my 6. And spreading out resources of
food snacks and chew stuff.

Preventing charging and attacks. Positive associations.

Currently my GCC is not freinds with any quaker. They maintain about a 2 foot distance from each other always. Unless they are sitting with me then its about 6 inches. They know bad bird get moved to a perch or put up briefly.

At first its active supervision with you arms reach away to prevent issues. Each set up several feet apart with treat dish. Short sessions with each at their own spot. Maybe just a few minutes. Then put up befofer any issues and repeat trying for longer and longer.

It takes time . It took months before my quakers could hang out close together, tgey also started out with always keeping a foot or more apart. It took a couple of years for 2 to become buddies

Parrot rescues do a similar thing. I once had a link.....I'll look and see if I still have it. But

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
id put acrylic on the tops if all the cages if they are flat top. To prevent toe amputation.

QP can be bullies and unfortunately GCC don't back down. So it can be a bad combo.

That said I feel you can get a flock dynamic going . Parrot like other birds can mix flock forage.
Its about have space to retreat, lots of perches I think I have 30 for my 6. And spreading out resources of
food snacks and chew stuff.

Preventing charging and attacks. Positive associations.

Currently my GCC is not freinds with any quaker. They maintain about a 2 foot distance from each other always. Unless they are sitting with me then its about 6 inches. They know bad bird get moved to a perch or put up briefly.

At first its active supervision with you arms reach away to prevent issues. Each set up several feet apart with treat dish. Short sessions with each at their own spot. Maybe just a few minutes. Then put up befofer any issues and repeat trying for longer and longer.

It takes time . It took months before my quakers could hang out close together, tgey also started out with always keeping a foot or more apart. It took a couple of years for 2 to become buddies

Parrot rescues do a similar thing. I once had a link.....I'll look and see if I still have it. But
Thank you for the advice! I'd probably have to wait until I move to my new house to really try to get them to tolerate each other.

Most Reactions