Best way to introduce new birds?

baz1

Jul 25, 2009
Hello. This is my first post on the forum. I have had an African Grey:grey: for seven months, and have just bought a Yellow Naped Amazon:greenyellow:. He is only 13 weeks old and I'm wondering what the best way to introduce them is? Can they play out together, or will they attack each other? Will they be able to share the same playstand etc., or will one try to be dominant over the other? Will post pics later, thank you, Baz.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Baz, sorry we missed this one ... this is an interesting question.

Firstly, the general rule of thumb is that when you bring home a new bird to an already established "flock" there should a 30 day quarantine period of the new bird ... in this time a well birdie check with an Avian Certified Vet would be called for. You don't want any unknown diseases being transfer from the new bird to any members of the current established flock.

That being said, is that always how it happens - NO. Room limitation and time limitations some time make this impossible. If you can not quarantine then I would suggest these two things (1) know who you got the new bird from - have a good overall feeling about the new guy and (2) GET A WELL BIRDIE CHECK WITH AN Avian Certified Vet ... this is the only way to tell if your new guy is well enough to met your current flock.

Back to your original topic, can they get along - heck yeah they can (I know a gentleman who has a mac, 2 amazons, 1 grey, and 2 conures and they all get along splendidly). Always supervise interactions between the two new guys until you are comfortable that they aren't going to attack each other. If they accept each other then you have to do nothing ... it's only IF they don't accept each other that you have to step in and modify their behaviors a certain way ...

Let's hope they take to each other ... if they don't AD and I can help you understand what you will need to do to establish a good flock.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Who me?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I only have one bird here :p

I would say, in addition to Tex's points, introduce them SLOWLY. Its often best if they see each other through a cage first. I suspect/hope they have separate cages - if so you can have the cages in the same room where they can get a feel for each other. Then have one of them out at a time and let the other see you interacting with them. Eventually introduce them through the cage and see how they do.

Thats more or less the common 'textbook' answer, and it more or less works. I do have one concern with it though - you don't want this to take so long that they can sit there across the room from each other building up anticipation, animosity or anything else. When they do first come together you don't want either of them to feel as if they have something to prove.

A slow introduction (after quarantine) is the safe way to go, but a quick introduction will make them deal with any issues rather than letting them fester.

If it was me I'd have them each in their cage in the same room for a day while observing their behavior, then from there I'd let their behavior dictate the process: do they look at each other curiously, aggressively, or not at all, etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts