meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
We all mean a cement perch. I took a couple of pictures of one of cement perchs that I have for Popsicle so you get an idea what we're talking about.

cementperch.jpg

cementperch2.jpg

There is a couple of pictures so you got an idea what to look for. I like these ones because the size isn't constant it changes, and that helps exercise the birds foot muscles. I would get the smallest size possible for a parakeet. Hope this helps.

i have the same one of those for my 2 tiels. ya those are good because with the different size chnages prevent arthritis. thats why they say you should use different thhinkness es of perches and different kinds and stuff. The only prblem with me is that i think my tiels are scared of it ... i dont think they've been on it yet and i got it a few weeks ago. but i gto them a cheap little one from wal-mart and they go on that on alot.another thing you have ot be careful with the cement perches is not to keep them up to high or else they'll be on it all the time and get sore feet if they are on thsoe kind fo perches alot. what i was told to was to was keep the cactus/cholla perch up high so theyd ont poop on because there hard to clean between the holes and stuff and the rope ones in the middle or wherever availabale and the cement ones sort of low or by there food.

Last edited:
OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
My parrents are getting me a gift card so i can pick out toys, cage etc. I also have saves $65! The bird will cost $10. so.. i should start off well.

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
3 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
wow that should get you good and started! I bet you are excited keep us posted and make sure you get as big a cage as you can afford you can always start off with a few toys and add more but the cage is the most important thing you will ever get and a good cage could last you through several birds. don't get sucked it and by one of those teeny one's they sell. my one that says cockatiel and both you and your little friend will be happy!

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
You said you were getting a budgie right... the ones stores label as parakeets?

well I will give you a few pointers before your big day...

Choose a store or breeder that has a good environment for their budgies. This includes a clean cage and play area, plenty of toys, fresh water, fresh foods, and well trained employees. Buying any bird from a place that has bad conditions, unhealthy birds, and untrained employees only rewards those business and reaffirms them to continue their bad practices. It is important to avoid "pity purchases" from such places

Make sure that your budgie purchases come with a written guarantee of health where you have the option of returning the budgie if any health problem is discovered by your veterinarian.

Choose a bird with a clean vent area. A dirty vent can be an indication of bad hygiene, digestive problems, or some other medical problem.
Look for clean, clear nostrils. Avoid buying a bird with caked on mucous on its beak or nostrils. This is a clear indication of a respiratory problem.

Count the toes. A normal, healthy budgies should not be missing any toes. Also watch to see the bird perching, grasping, climbing, and basically making good use of its toes. If the toes show any abnormal scaliness this could also could be an indication of the existance of mites which is something to avoid.

Listen to the bird breathe. If you can hear 'clicking' sounds this may be a sign of air sac mites or other respiratory problems. A wheezing budgie is not a healthy budgie

Feathers and Wings: A healthy budgie should have complete wings. The wings may be clipped, but make sure that all the feathers are there. The feathers shoud be shiny and full.

An alert and playful budgie is generally a better bet than the small, quiet budgie that sits alone in the corner. Alertness and activity is usually one sign of happy, healthy budgie.

Look for a bird that is a good weight. Overweight budgies often show an obvious indented 'line' down the breast where the keel bone is. The fattier tissues are pushing beyond the keel. In an underweight budgie, the keel bone sticks out from the rest of the body tissue and is often a sign of a digestive problem or other health issues.

Check the beak. The beak should meet cleanly, be relatively smooth, and not overgrown. An overgrown beak is often a sign of mites, or other more serious problems.

Look for a budgie with good socialization skills. A socially happy budgie will be playful with other budgies and even humans if someone has taken the time to tame them.

now for some fun facts...

The term budgie was derived from the word budgerigar, which is based on a similar sounding Aborigine phrase that means, "good eating" and refers specifically to the species Melopsittacus Undulatus :eek:

The average lifespan of a budgie is generally 2-7 years. There are budgies that have lived to 13 and ever older, and there are budgies that die before their first birthday

In general, the color of a budgie's cere is the simplest indicator of sex in adult budgies: males are blue, and females are white, light beige, reddish, or brown. While it is fairly accurate, the color of the cere cannot always be used to sex a budgie. With some color varieties, like albinos, lutinos, fallows, and some recessive pieds like harlequins, both males and females have beige or pink colored ceres. Other visual sexing methods include females having an almost invisible, whitish rings around their nostrils, and males having more rounded, bulbous ceres, both of which are often hard to recognize to the untrained eye. And many people also say that females bite harder than males and that males have rounder heads while females heads are more flat on the top.

I pulled most of my info from
http://www.budgies.org/
take a look and learn some more

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Some great points there from Chi, and a lovely sight to keep and refer to.

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
Wow thank you i just went to A pet store and I saw a few things on "The List" so I sorta know what I'm looking for. I just added that sight to my favorites so I can cheek it later

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
tomorrow is the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll get the cage on the 16th the bird on 18th

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
great your very wise to get the cage first not at the same time so you will have plenty of time to set it up. BTW what size is it?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Very wise decision, getting cage first. Get the biggest one you can afford, its far better in the long run. :D

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
It Is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Happy Birthday!!!

Can't wait to see pics when you get your cage and bird!!!

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
You are all now writing to a 11 year old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOT

OP
slayor

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
O MY GOD I got a $100 gift card to a PET STORE!!!!!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Wow, that will get you a lovely large cage for your new best buddy. :D

Most Reactions