20220518_160854.jpg

20220518_160758.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yellow-Nape Amazon, up close and very personal!!
Gotta Love it!!
Thanks Good Friend for the morning Amazon Fix!!

Looks like impacted notials?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yellow-Nape Amazon, up close and very personal!!
Gotta Love it!!
Thanks Good Friend for the morning Amazon Fix!!

Looks like impacted notials?
Do you think he needs to have a nasal flush?
I have considered it a number of times but was afraid of how stressful it could be.
I know I would not like it for beans.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes, he clearly needs a flush!
In our area of the Country, it is fairly common as a result of low humidity during the Winter. Stress level is about the same as nail clipping.
I'm glad this was discussed because its the first thing i thought seeing the pictures. After noticing how adorable of course@

Beak and nostrils indicate not enough vitamin A in diet...is he a picky eater?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
He is a picky eater.
he mostly picks out the corn in the veggies and skips the other things. He is given Kale but not sure he eats any of it.
I was given some vitamins for the birds and for a while I was putting it in his water but I stopped some time ago.

I tried to call the avian vet this morning but it looks like they are closed on Sundays. Will try to set up an appointment for the nasal flush ASAP. It's an idea that has been in my mind for the last couple of years due to his breathing problems during the winter months.

I can only imagen how awful it would be if someone took me and strapped me down and forced water through my sinuses. I would probably think it was torture or a slower way of drowning someone.

But I will get it done if it can help him.
Those photos let me see him closer up than I normally see him with the naked eye.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Humans can blow their nose and eliminate most everything in their sinuses. Parrots can at best sneeze or dig into the opening with their nail.

The concern is infection or extremely dry sinuses and the problems that can cause.

The size of the sinuses cavity is surprising as we tend to see it as only our nose and not the vast area just inside.

I understand your fear as the feeling of drowning is deeply set within our hardwired reactions. I can only ask you to relate to what if feels like when you breath from only your mouth. and the dryness that develops.

Most Reactions