so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I wake before my birds while it’s still dark.
When light enough that I hear them stirring I uncover and greet them.
dry food/water is first.
Then I let Twins out for flappy time.
Bingo signals me when he wants out.
First stop is weighing him.
Then he usually wants me to take him into the kitchen (because he wants me to cut up his fruit).
Early afternoon (every other day) I give veggies.
Dry food is left pretty much 24/7.
Bingo is almost the only bird ready to eat anytime his humans visit the kitchen.
When he was really sick after going to sleep he would not move.
Now that he is feeling better when he hears us messing about in the kitchen he moves to his best viewing spot and waits hopefully but not necessarily patiently for a sample.
Time doesn’t matter, it can be 3:00 am .
I think Bingo has the best night vision of all my Fids.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm wondering how you prevent your bird from eating before being weighed in the morning. Do you take all food out at bedtime? Regarding his morning potty habits- does he "go" at the same time every morning? What time does your bird wake up in the morning? Do you always wake up before him and check his poops?
We have long worked with very special Amazons, commonly older, abused, and sick, with zero want to ever interact with another Human ever again. In place of near everyone else, who are working on developing a Trust Bond, we are working on saving that Amazon's life with a cocktail of medications. Although we strongly believe in abundance of food available, we remove the food dish in the dark of the night as specific medications have specific requirements the following morning and weight is a major part of that.

Large Amazons are capable of very large stools and they commonly dump within half an hour of waking. The huge stool is commonly gathered for testing. As the Amazon becomes healthier we maintain the feed schedule as weight is so very important!

Our Amazons have all been on a Sun Schedule and that means the time changes with the sunrise /set. It is a very dangerous method as sleep is longer in the Winter months but short in the Summer months. The reason is that their Hormonal flows tend to be more consistent year to year. But Hormonal Season can /are over the top and requires in-depth knowledge of handling a fully hormonal Amazon if full hormonal flow.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We have long worked with very special Amazons, commonly older, abused, and sick, with zero want to ever interact with another Human ever again. In place of near everyone else, who are working on developing a Trust Bond, we are working on saving that Amazon's life with a cocktail of medications. Although we strongly believe in abundance of food available, we remove the food dish in the dark of the night as specific medications have specific requirements the following morning and weight is a major part of that.

Large Amazons are capable of very large stools and they commonly dump within half an hour of waking. The huge stool is commonly gathered for testing. As the Amazon becomes healthier we maintain the feed schedule as weight is so very important!

Our Amazons have all been on a Sun Schedule and that means the time changes with the sunrise /set. It is a very dangerous method as sleep is longer in the Winter months but short in the Summer months. The reason is that their Hormonal flows tend to be more consistent year to year. But Hormonal Season can /are over the top and requires in-depth knowledge of handling a fully hormonal Amazon if full hormonal flow.
This was going to be my question: if Bingo has had his morning poop before weighing. I bet that’s your weight difference.

I am glad he’s feeling so well.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This was going to be my question: if Bingo has had his morning poop before weighing. I bet that’s your weight difference.

I am glad he’s feeling so well.
Bingo doesn't seem to be the kind of bird that holds his poop for extended periods of time (like over night).
The only time he really holds it in is when he is sitting with me, he never poops on me.
This is one of the big reasons I make sure to place him back into his cage after about 1/2 hour of cuddle time.
Bella, she does hold it in, possibly all night long. Her first poo of the day is monumental and you can't miss it .
Bingo, not so much. I really can't tell for sure but I would guess 90% of the time he has made his morning dump before his weigh in.

Thinking about going back to the avian vet for a check up next week.
Mostly I want him to listen to his breathing to see if he can detect an improvement. If there is an improvement I want some answers as to why this happens over and over every year and all medications don't help.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
24 hours worth of feathers.
Bingo is loosing so many feathers with this molt it’s incredible.
It’s starting to have an effect on his appearance, he looks a little ragged around the edges.
This is about 24 hours worth of feathers not counting all the down feathers (and there is lots of them too).
Going to be stuffing him with scrambled eggs for a while.

IMG_1252.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
24 hours worth of feathers.
Bingo is loosing so many feathers with this molt it’s incredible.
It’s starting to have an effect on his appearance, he looks a little ragged around the edges.
This is about 24 hours worth of feathers not counting all the down feathers (and there is lots of them too).
Going to be stuffing him with scrambled eggs for a while.

View attachment 50165
These beautiful feathers would make great fishing flies! Lots of bugs are green.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think all but the two yellow “nape” feathers are wing feathers.
The two biggest have to be from the wing, medium sized because of their curves are also probably from the wing.

Most Reactions