so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It's been a while since I posted about how Bingo is doing.

I have been giving him his pain meds every morning.
Has it made a difference?
I wish I could say for sure one way or another, but I can't be SURE.

Last night Bingo was acting more like his old self than I have seen for months.
Recently when the sun goes down Bingo goes to the back of his cage, sits next to his heater and is mostly dead to the world.
Normally Bingo sleeps with one eye (or ear) open and when something is going on in the kitchen he perks right up and moves to a location in his cage that gives him a good view of the kitchen activities.
Last night at 7:30 pm my wife was fixing a late dinner and Bingo woke up and was glued to the viewing area of his cage basically begging for "a piece of the action" .

I got to see Bingo's evil/angry side a few days ago.
I made the mistake of wearing the wrong shirt.
I had gone out to do some running around and forgot to change out of my street shirt and into my bird approved lounging around the house shirt.
Bingo wanted out of his cage and then wanted to sit with me. As soon as I set him down next to me I knew I was in trouble.
He started pinning his eyes and hissing at me.
Had to call in my son to rescue me to avoid getting bitten.

Speaking of shirts.
Bingo has developed a new habit of biting holes in my shirt.
He grabs a fold of shirt or sweatshirt and bites really hard leaving a small triangle of holes.
This is sort of aa new behavior of his, he did not use to do this.

He is still having trouble breathing, that has not gone away.
But he is more active and alert, more with it.
Hoping the warmer weather soon to come will help him recover more.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
So glad to see "positive" updates on Bingo! How's his appetite? Eating enough you think? Biting holes on shirt is a very good sign and behavior of healthy bird. We don't have a single house shirt without holes when BB was around and also no buttons left on jackets. I ended up replacing them with metal buttons on a favorite one.

Guess the warmer weather has played an important role of relieving his symptoms and will continue to the road of recovery πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™βœŒοΈβœŒοΈβœŒοΈ

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
So glad to see "positive" updates on Bingo! How's his appetite? Eating enough you think? Biting holes on shirt is a very good sign and behavior of healthy bird. We don't have a single house shirt without holes when BB was around and also no buttons left on jackets. I ended up replacing them with metal buttons on a favorite one.

Guess the warmer weather has played an important role of relieving his symptoms and will continue to the road of recovery πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™βœŒοΈβœŒοΈβœŒοΈ
His appetite has been better.
His weight is up a bit (by average) the last few days.
he still has what looks like the dry heaves in the morning when he has had nothing to eat all night.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio has a specific colored wash cloth that he will from time to time, chew-on. But it has to be washed at night so that it is in his secret hiding place (that everyone knows about) prior to his getting up in the morning. Most mornings he will not check, but when he does he will drag it out and it will suffer great ravage for up to an hour.

Not sure if that will work for Bingo. With Julio it is the same color as one of my shirts he would have at from time to time. Try setting it where he usually stands to chew on the shirt.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It's been a while since I posted about how Bingo is doing.

I have been giving him his pain meds every morning.
Has it made a difference?
I wish I could say for sure one way or another, but I can't be SURE.

Last night Bingo was acting more like his old self than I have seen for months.
Recently when the sun goes down Bingo goes to the back of his cage, sits next to his heater and is mostly dead to the world.
Normally Bingo sleeps with one eye (or ear) open and when something is going on in the kitchen he perks right up and moves to a location in his cage that gives him a good view of the kitchen activities.
Last night at 7:30 pm my wife was fixing a late dinner and Bingo woke up and was glued to the viewing area of his cage basically begging for "a piece of the action" .

I got to see Bingo's evil/angry side a few days ago.
I made the mistake of wearing the wrong shirt.
I had gone out to do some running around and forgot to change out of my street shirt and into my bird approved lounging around the house shirt.
Bingo wanted out of his cage and then wanted to sit with me. As soon as I set him down next to me I knew I was in trouble.
He started pinning his eyes and hissing at me.
Had to call in my son to rescue me to avoid getting bitten.

Speaking of shirts.
Bingo has developed a new habit of biting holes in my shirt.
He grabs a fold of shirt or sweatshirt and bites really hard leaving a small triangle of holes.
This is sort of aa new behavior of his, he did not use to do this.

He is still having trouble breathing, that has not gone away.
But he is more active and alert, more with it.
Hoping the warmer weather soon to come will help him recover more.
I’m glad that Bingo is having some good times. I think it’s important to give the pain medication regularly because it decreases inflammation. If inflammation is part of the reason his belly is enlarged and lungs are squeezed, decreasing it by any means possible is important.

I hope all your bird family is doing well.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wes, I'm so glad to hear a positive update on Bingo! He sounds happier as well, and I think that's so important.
I feel sure that the Metacam is helping him, at least a little. My Pekingese was on it for years because of back issues, and I didn't really see a difference in him until he'd been on it for awhile.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bingo has become a Velcro bird.

I don't know how much of it is my doing.
Because he has been feeling bad I have been allowing him out of the cage most every time he asks for it.
Most of the time he wants to sit with me. He has good communication skills with body language to let me know if he wants to sit with me or window.
When he sits with me he gets up close to my face and "appears" to go to sleep(I can only see one eye so not sure if he is really asleep).
It's not like having a cat take a nap in your lap. You can pet a sleeping cat and it doesn't usually get upset, it likes it.
Just touching a bird that is asleep in your face has bad consequences.

I don't like him to stay more than 1/2 hour because he won't poop when he is sitting on me so I don't want to force him to hold it too long. But I feel so guilty making him go back.

I took Bingo into the shower with me today.
He acted much more animated in the shower, flapping around and really enjoyed it.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That shows how much he loves you, and I think he knows how hard you've been trying to make him feel better. What a loving boy he is ❀️

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
this is a rare picture I took this morning with Bingo.

08B2ECDF-B294-4D50-AA04-3733125B23ED.jpeg

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Awww, what a beautiful photo of you two!! I hope Sammy and I can reach that level of understanding. I’m glad you’ve found activities Bingo can enjoy and participate in with you guys.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bingo's weight has been up by about 10 grams for 10 days or .
Last year is was overweight and was around 580 grams.
When I fist started taking him into the vet for his latest ailment he was around 512 grams.
His weight has been right around 520 grams so I see that as a good thing.

I recorded a short video of Bingo's dry heaving (what I am calling it).
The ting to keep in mind is.
This was in the morning before eating anything.
He did not bring up any food or stomach (or crop) contents.
Normally he only regurgitates to me or to a toy or object not just in mid air so to speak.
He has not shown any signs hormonal behavior this year (probably due to his illness) .

I will say this though.
Merlin is right now going through his hormonal season.
He has started what we call "feeding the baby" (regurgitating to a toy) early in the morning when it's still mostly dark.
And he does this before eating or even being given his breakfast.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We both know the importance of up-close and personal view of their actions. You see him daily and are far more familiar with his actions. Your opinion is far more likely.

From a distant observer position, looking at a dark, short video, it looks like arranging his crop in preparation of eating.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
We both know the importance of up-close and personal view of their actions. You see him daily and are far more familiar with his actions. Your opinion is far more likely.

From a distant observer position, looking at a dark, short video, it looks like arranging his crop in preparation of eating.
Well he did go down and start eating right after that.
I always thought a crop adjustment was more of a neck stretch up with a yawn, sometimes several yawn.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There are a couple of things happening when they are adjusting their crop.
- With food in the crop, rearranging it to pull it into the stomach.
- Stretch /arrange an empty crop in preparation of filling it.

Yawns, can turn into crop stretches and crop stretches can turn into yawns.

Julio's Yawns are interesting as he is more than willing to see who can out yawn whom!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Bingo's weight has been up by about 10 grams for 10 days or .
Last year is was overweight and was around 580 grams.
When I fist started taking him into the vet for his latest ailment he was around 512 grams.
His weight has been right around 520 grams so I see that as a good thing.

I recorded a short video of Bingo's dry heaving (what I am calling it).
The ting to keep in mind is.
This was in the morning before eating anything.
He did not bring up any food or stomach (or crop) contents.
Normally he only regurgitates to me or to a toy or object not just in mid air so to speak.
He has not shown any signs hormonal behavior this year (probably due to his illness) .

I will say this though.
Merlin is right now going through his hormonal season.
He has started what we call "feeding the baby" (regurgitating to a toy) early in the morning when it's still mostly dark.
And he does this before eating or even being given his breakfast.

Maybe he has post nasal drip. My husband has it and dry heaves from it most mornings.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bingo's weight is up to 530 grams this morning.
That's up from 512 grams when I first took him in to the CAV with his current problem.

I stopped giving him his pain meds 4/5 days ago. With his weight on the way up and his behavior closer to normal I did not think the usefulness of the medication was worth the risk of him aspirating it when trying to give it to him.

He still has his breathing problems. His inhalation is quiet but I hear every exhalation like it's an effort (but only when he is sitting right next to my face).
He has been grooming more and has even started grooming me a little bit.
Last night he did not sleep next to his heater so I guess he must feel he doesn't need it so much.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
Bingo's weight is up to 530 grams this morning.
That's up from 512 grams when I first took him in to the CAV with his current problem.

I stopped giving him his pain meds 4/5 days ago. With his weight on the way up and his behavior closer to normal I did not think the usefulness of the medication was worth the risk of him aspirating it when trying to give it to him.

He still has his breathing problems. His inhalation is quiet but I hear every exhalation like it's an effort (but only when he is sitting right next to my face).
He has been grooming more and has even started grooming me a little bit.
Last night he did not sleep next to his heater so I guess he must feel he doesn't need it so much.
BEST news I haven't heard for a long time!!! Guess the warmer temperature boosted his energy up quite a notch. Just keep sending more and more good news our way (y):)

Most Reactions

Latest posts