so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I talked with the vet this morning and he said his blood work was good.

Liver and kidney function is normal. that was my biggest worry.

He said he was slightly Lymphocytic. He said there are two types of white cells and Bingo has 59% of one type. the total # of white cells is normal.

the blood work results was sent to me in a PDF file and I don't know how to upload a PDF.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
25944d1615223587-bingo-s-blood-test-blood-work-1e.jpg

25945d1615223602-bingo-s-blood-test-blood-work-2e.jpg

Blood work 1e.jpg]

Attachments

• Blood work 1e.jpg
    Blood work 1e.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,304
Last edited by a moderator:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I think you just click on the file and open it up and "save" it in a folder then you can insert that folder by using the paper clip at top of page???? don't knowI'm no computer whizz Wes lol.
Happy to hear that things went well with Bingo :)

Jim

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When I spoke with the vet I asked about CITES documents for any offspring of my 2 green cheek amazons.

He said he never heard of CITES and was unaware that all Amazon’s are listed as endangered.

A brief googling said that that paperwork is only nessisaraly for international travel.

Here is where I found that.

https://be.chewy.com/birds-and-the-law/

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
looks really great!
With a little higher protein s
And HCT looks like needed some water to drink. Was it a Long trip to vet?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
looks really great!
With a little higher protein s
And HCT looks like needed some water to drink. Was it a Long trip to vet?

About 20 min. But waited another 15 in the car before they picked him up.

Bingo drinks water differently than the twins.
The twins take little sips frequently.
Bingo drinks like a camel. He takes on a lot af water infrequently.

The pack o bird has bowls but city traffic it would all spill out.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When I spoke with the vet I asked about CITES documents for any offspring of my 2 green cheek amazons.

He said he never heard of CITES and was unaware that all Amazon’s are listed as endangered.

A brief googling said that that paperwork is only nessisaraly for international travel.

Sadly, it is an agreement that the United Stated has entered into and although, the US has not yet begun to activity enforce it within its boarders, its citizens will be effected by the agreement if traveling internationally, which includes both Canada and Mexico.

With great luck, my CAV is well aware of CITES and activity works with her clients to assure that their 'young' Amazons have the needed documentation. Currently, that is Amazons under the age of 5 years. Creating a CITES document set becomes ever more difficult after the Parrot is hatched as individuals go out of business, move, separate, die, etc.... Hence the push to obtain the documentation when the Parrot is hatched.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Just curious - how would an authority figure know how old your amazon is? I recently adopted an amazon who is over 20yrs but honestly how could you tell she’s older than 5yrs. And what stops a person from taking a 4year old amazon and saying it’s 7years old. The cites paper work just seems very flawed in my opinion.

You cans definitely tell my bird is older because she is a little rough around the edges - due to a hard few years before I got her. I feel the level of care would show and make it difficult to tell hold a parrot is. A very well cared for parrot make look younger than he actually is while I think the reverse is the same.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just curious - how would an authority figure know how old your amazon is? I recently adopted an amazon who is over 20yrs but honestly how could you tell she’s older than 5yrs. And what stops a person from taking a 4year old amazon and saying it’s 7years old. The cites paper work just seems very flawed in my opinion.

You cans definitely tell my bird is older because she is a little rough around the edges - due to a hard few years before I got her. I feel the level of care would show and make it difficult to tell hold a parrot is. A very well cared for parrot make look younger than he actually is while I think the reverse is the same.

You have identified the developing problem with this approach. That said, most Avian Medical Professional can identify a young Amazon from an older Amazon. But, as we get closer to 8 - 10 years of age that becomes near impossible. At some point in the nearing future, it will flip and all Amazons will require documentation.

At present, the 'wise' Amazon owner will have or is developing a Medical History with their Avian Medical Professional and as part of that document set includes a DNA sex test and a Microchip for their mid to larger Parrot as the microchip is the only 'proof of ownership' that the majority of North American courts will accept.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Ok....so Amy is 31 years old. I have had him since he was four months old. Within two weeks of him coming home with me he went for a wellness/physical.
I have been taking all of my fids to this one vet/cav hospital for almost 35 years now so they have all medical records from day one. What if I decided I wanted to move to East Jabrew and take my kids with me? Would I needa CITES thing? I mean I have purchase/date/sex records at my disposal.
As far as how old he "looks" he doesn't look 31 to me!

Jim

Last edited:

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.

I really wish I knew how to read and understand these things :eek:

Jim

Hi Jim

His Lymphocytes level are at 6.7 and that is within the upper limit of 7.4. Please keep doing tests every 3 months or so or even 2 months so that it does not shoot above. 7.2. 8 or so may be fine temporarily but anything above 10, 15 etc may be worrying. Give him a healthy immunity boosting diet. I am sure your vet will guide you and your bird will be well.

regards

Avin
:green1:

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Because Amy has a long and well developed Medical History, your Avian Medical Professional can easily create a document that can define his Age, Species, and most importantly, your long ownership with clarity! Thus when that point arrives, Amy will easily have a supporting document built around him. The same with BB's, although he will likely never need such a document.

The danger is that we once again have an 'open' Southern Boarder and Black Market Amazon will be activity happening this Spring and Summer. Purchasing young Amazons without documentation will be problematic!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jim, I'll tell you one thing. Amy sure doesn't bite like a 31 year old Amazon! LOL.

Wade, I sure glad Bingo's blood test came back pretty good!

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA

My seller wanted to charge me like $250 for CITES, plus whatever CITES processing fees are, and I not so kindly gave him my answer.

I don’t expect to be traveling the globe with my parrot, or even visit Canada or Mexico with him, so I don’t see the point.

Most Reactions

Latest posts