Bird feet

May 17, 2020
Do parrots shed thier feet scales my ringneck has dry feet and some of it he peels the dry skin off is this something to be worried about.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The claw /foot structure is commonly miss-understood as they are so very different.

They will shed /flake skin and as a result from time to time their claws will appear 'dry.' But, that does not mean that they require special treatment. At most a very tiny amount of pure, natural, veggie based oil can be applied to their feet like once every other month at most. Remember that the amount is tiny.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
my birds are regularly steamed when i shower and their feet ae fine. Also I play "got your toe" a lot as they seem to like to hate but love the game.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Do parrots shed thier feet scales my ringneck has dry feet and some of it he peels the dry skin off is this something to be worried about.
Yes. Birds do lose the top layer of skin on their feet. When my old Quaker was not shedding this skin, due to injury, her feet got really dark and dry. It should be a gradual process over time.

My Quaker got moisturizer and foot rubs on direction of the veterinarian. She loved that. He thought she was spoiled, but you’re only old once. I miss my old lady bird.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts