Bird Girl

weisermatthew

Mar 1, 2014
Hi I have a Sun Conure .His name is Kimoe. I found him appearing to be chocking(not unable to breath) but obviously tring to get something out.Is it common for them to chock a little on there food. Thanks

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
In the future when posting, if you put the subject line as something like "my bird is choking" instead of "bird girl" for every post, that would be more beneficial :) so everyone would know what the post is about.

Did he stop doing it yet? Sometimes they might get some food that might need "rearranging" in the crop (sack where the food goes once it's swallowed). It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it looks like they're stretching their neck and upper chest out different ways and opening the mouth. In many years, I've only caught this happening few times with my own eyes, so though it's not common, maybe that's what it is? Again, hard to say without seeing the bird or video of him doing it. If it continues into tomorrow I'd make an appointment with an avian vet to get it checked out.

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013
So funny when I got Poe, a Palm Cockatoo, I had him for maybe two days and I came home and he seemed like he was choking. I almost lost it. Phoning the breeder to talk but had the director at the local rescue rushing over to take me to the emergency vet. Anyway within a couple of minutes it all stopped. The breeder laughed and said he was probably clearing his throat from a kernel of corn or something. I hadn't even taken him out of his cage at that point and I'm thinking this is not good! He was one year old and had just been weaned about one month before I got him. Oh what goes threw you mind! I guess the answer is YES! Of course it has never happen again or should I say I have never seen it happen again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts