Bird Health & Anxiety

littleparrotlets

Sep 23, 2019
United States
Parrots
Female American Blue Parrotlet.
Male Turquoise Peid Parrotlet.
Male Black Headed Caique.
So my caique is a few months old, and he has been sneezing a little. Mostly in my room. The humidity was 30 and temp about 70, a few times dropped slightly. I spoke to one of the avian vets already that I have always taken my parrots to, and he said it sounded environmental and said time would tell. He gave me very helpful advice on everything regarding it. I can’t actually take him in yet because they are closed for another week, but he didn’t think he needed to be seen. Otherwise he would have told me to take him to one of the other places they have.

I’m just having this issue with my anxiety. I can’t stop worrying. I’m not sleeping well. I keep checking the digital thermostat that I have to see the temperature and humidity (which is finally up to 40 now). We found one of my windows seems to be not closed all the way, and we need to fix it. But anytime he sneezes (not super often anymore since I have upped the humidity), my anxiety skyrockets, and I just feel like I’m doing everything wrong, and I just panic and feel horrible.

What makes it worse I feel like is that I had a parrot die last month from being egg bound. We took her to the ER and she passed away. It’s hard to talk about, but I’m worried that I’m overly anxious because I don’t want anything to happen to him, he’s a baby, just was able to come home last week, it’s like I feel like I keep doing something wrong, and I just want to take care of him and make sure he’s happy and healthy. I’m definitely taking him in when his primary vet is able to open back up, which does give some time to help me adjust the environment, but still. I don’t know how to stop worrying. And then I go down the internet and see all the reasons for sneezing and worry more despite what the avian vet told me. My anxiety just overtakes rational thinking. :/

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Remember, your vet said , appears to be environmental, you made a change and are seeing results! A quick fix for the window is plastic film! All us old timers should be very familiar with this for the winter months!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Anxiety sucks. I completely get it. And I think a lot of us are finding ourselves a bit ramped up right now. But you have an advantage; you know that’s what’s causing the intrusive thoughts. It’s okay to tell your brain goblin to HUSH. When I notice intrusive thoughts I catch myself and literally yell stop (in my head).

Thank you for trusting us enough to reach out.

I’m so sorry about your recent loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts