Bird likes to be held, but is afraid of stepping up

snicker

May 24, 2022
Philadelphia
Parrots
Turquoise GCC
Hi all,

I am in need of some advice for my little baby conure buddy. He loves to be cuddled and ride around on my shoulder or hang out on my leg while I relax. He also enjoys when I stand next to his cage and talk to him! However, when I go to ask him to step up in or around his cage, he always freaks out and runs around like a maniac. It's only around his cage! Elsewhere in the house he does it completely fine! I think this may be because my roommate tried to interact with him when he was first brought home by reaching into his cage to get him (I wasn't home when she did this and yes, I did speak to her about it afterwards) and scared him. I usually keep my finger in one spot while he runs around, I don't chase him, while repeating "step up" calmly and patiently. Eventually, he calms down and listens, but I feel like I could be doing something better. This is my first conure (I've only had cockatiels up until now), and I wonder if anyone has tips or tricks that I could implement that would help me train my friend and keep him from freaking out whenever he sees my finger. We have gained a lot of trust together, and I have been working with him daily. This would be a big step for him.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try offering your hand (4 fingers pressed together, thumb tucked tight into your palm. Its how I get Salty to step up. It seems like a more substantial perch then just one finger.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
It will change, you said its a baby.....the cage is the SAFE PLACE. Never stick your hand in the cage unless it's an emergency.... but within a short amount of time the bird will be like....."come get me I wanna play" just give it a bit. In' time the bird will insist you cater to him/her.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Quaker also seems conflicted when I answer his squawks to let him out. I have to back away a few feet until he comes out on his cage door or he gets excited and defends his cage from me. Bird brains.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
It will change, you said its a baby.....the cage is the SAFE PLACE. Never stick your hand in the cage unless it's an emergency.... but within a short amount of time the bird will be like....."come get me I wanna play" just give it a bit. In' time the bird will insist you cater to him/her.
Totally agree on this. Make at least one "safe place" where your bird can be alone, and where you won't try to interact with them unless it's an emergency. For my birds, it's their sleeping cages (which are their only cages). Point is, cages do the job wonderfully. A cage is like a bird's bedroom. You probably wouldn't like someone barging into your room whenever, and nor would a bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts