Bird massage

KnightlyMoon

Oct 18, 2019
West Virginia
Parrots
Mickey -Green Cheek Conure
Mango -Green Cheek Conure
My birds love taking showers with me and just

relax, whenever the water hits them, It's like they fall asleep.
So tonight I was drying them off and giggling because my bird Mickey, who is usually the bitest of the two let me massage him while I hand dried him.

As I was massaging him, his neck popped and he just... relaxed in my hand immediately?
I've been watching him since and it's like looking at a different bird entirely. He's not attacking Mango or biting him like usual- he even hasn't bitten me since. Is he okay? I'm so scared that I'll wake up to him being dead and it'll be my Pineapple Conure Maria all over again. He isn't hindered either, in fact he can still fly around and is chirping excitedly.

Is there any advice I can follow while I keep an eye on him? What should I look for incase I accidentally hurt him?
:gcc:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome and I am glad things are going well.
It sounds like you probably already know this, but just touching a parrot outside of the head/neck region is very sexual (but for some, even that can be too much if prolonged). Birds want nothing more than to find a mate, and as the "owner" you want to avoid encouraging anything sexual, as it can lead to anxiety, behavior problems and medical issues.

I am not sure how old your birds are, but at sexual maturity, they often push away from their first favorite, but....cute as it is...you don't want to make your bird think you are his/her mate, as it can be very damaging to the bird in the long-run.

Similarly, you should not provide access to shadowy spaces--boxes, blankets, paper piles, under furniture, in cabinets/drawers, huts, low shelves, tents, huts etc.

I'm not sure this had to do with the massage as much as the way he may have interpreted the massage...I could be wrong....

Last edited:
OP
K

KnightlyMoon

Oct 18, 2019
West Virginia
Parrots
Welcome and I am glad things are going well.
It sounds like you probably already know this, but just touching a parrot outside of the head/neck region is very sexual (but for some, even that can be too much if prolonged). Birds want nothing more than to find a mate, and as the "owner" you want to avoid encouraging anything sexual, as it can lead to anxiety, behavior problems and medical issues.

I am not sure how old your birds are, but at sexual maturity, they often push away from their first favorite, but....cute as it is...you don't want to make your bird think you are his/her mate, as it can be very damaging to the bird in the long-run.

Similarly, you should not provide access to shadowy spaces--boxes, blankets, paper piles, under furniture, in cabinets/drawers, huts, low shelves, tents, huts etc.

I'm not sure this had to do with the massage as much as the way he may have interpreted the massage...I could be wrong....
aa ty for responding.

I usually hand dry my birds, that's why I was massaging him. They've bonded with each other instead of me but Mickey likes to press into our (mine and my husbands) hands to be held if he wants attention.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
"I was massaging him"

It is very important to always remember that Parrots are fragile! Your massage may have reset two bones and that may have released pressure /pain in doing it. That could account for a happier Parrot. But, again, Parrots are fragile!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
"I was massaging him"

It is very important to always remember that Parrots are fragile! Your massage may have reset two bones and that may have released pressure /pain in doing it. That could account for a happier Parrot. But, again, Parrots are fragile!

My thoughts as well! Unsure if movement/displacement of skeletal bones would cause behavioral changes. Only way to know if bones were altered is via X-Ray. Not suggesting this as necessary, more theoretical musing!

OP
K

KnightlyMoon

Oct 18, 2019
West Virginia
Parrots
"I was massaging him"

My thoughts as well! Unsure if movement/displacement of skeletal bones would cause behavioral changes. Only way to know if bones were altered is via X-Ray. Not suggesting this as necessary, more theoretical musing!
thank you both for responding!

He's doing well so far, and is back to his usual antics. I try not to touch around his neck anymore when I shower with him so i think he's okay for now. If anything happens I'll post an update!

Most Reactions

Latest posts