Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Canada

Alberta

Sherwood Park, AB

Meika's Safehouse Bird Rehabilitation & Re-homing Centre

971a Ordze Road, Sherwood Park, AB

"Meika's was established back in 2011. I can vouch for Meika's personally. I am friends with the owners, Janine and Ian, and they are amazing people. During the Fort McMurray fires back in 2016, they took in every bird that was brought to them. They kept these birds as long as the owners needed them to and there was no charge at all. They took in a total of 127 birds within a couple of days.
When the World Parrot Refuge shut down they took in 30 of those birds - a mix of macaws, cockatoos, pionus, senegals, quakers, conures and a CAG.

On a normal year they take in and try to find homes for 150 birds a year. They have already taken in 61 this year.
Their birds are well taken care of and are all loved while they are there. If you are in our area, please check them out. They can help match you with the bird who will complete your family. I can't recommend them enough, several of my own birds came from Meika's."
~Terry57

1647129325228.png

British Columbia

Surrey

Greyhaven Exotic Bird Sanctuary

"I have not been to Greyhaven, but they come highly recommended to me by friends.
They also took in birds from the World Parrot Refuge, a total of 580 that they managed to care for, vet and find homes for.
Please check them out if you are in the area, I have only heard good things about them from people I trust."
~Terry57

Manitoba

Winnipeg

Wings of Hope Parrot Rescue

"Wings of Hope in Manitoba, Canada. I had to surrender StrongArm/Sassy to them recently and they were fantastic :) !"
~Vampiric_Conure

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

South Africa.

Locations in multiple areas
*See website

Cheeky Beaks Rescue

"I'd recommend Cheeky Beak Parrot Rescue. They're one of the few rescues in South Africa, and they have birds all over the country. They're a little different than most rescues. By that, I mean they work using fosters, and don't have a physical location where all birds are housed. They also work mainly on birds being surrendered to them and less of going out and saving the,

In order to adopt a bird you fill out an online application for a specific bird(s), and if they think you are a match they'll let you meet the bird in person and decide from there whether you should be allowed to adopt or not.

I really like the rescue. I once went to a foster's house and I really enjoyed seeing the birds but it was also sad because one of the birds, a cockatiel named Pikachu, came from a really bad home. When I saw him/her, (s)he was half the size a cockatiel should be! ;( The poor lil' guy's feathers were so terrible because of the diet (s)he used to have, (s)he didn't even have down feathers!(and no, it wasn't PBFD, they had multiple tests done for him) That's what happens to birds who eat only sunflower seeds and millet."
~ PippTheBananaBirb

jI5CkpuaQhCbJhAuSfSFFY9kLLtqDOubj-HFt1ftBkZ4D2qIFrwXQ52glkTZQo09MSXzEM_vW-DzznZSt2Av0D1Ur6Y6okUtDiRWXYd979NyMxz265zB-wNu4ENrbo14x_AQb7M7

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
USA

Illinois

Villa Park, Illinois

"I've gotten several of my rescues from the above. There's also a midwest foster network called Fur Angels that takes in birds!" ~ hiriki

Maine

SEYMOURS BIRD REFUGE

204 Gray Road
Cumberland, Maine

"I love this place! The owner, Andrea, is wonderful, with tons of experience and knowledge, and is tremendously helpful. All the birds are very well cared for, and she knows the story and individual diets, quirks, and personality of every bird there. She's exceptional at making sure there's a good match between birds and people. The birds' well being always comes first. I've seen an occasional negative review, but without fail, they're coming from people who expect to leave with a larger parrot the first day. She requires a number of visitation hours to get to know the adopters, and make sure it's a good match with the bird, and that there's a bond happening before the bird can go home with you. There's usually a home visit to make sure the conditions are okay and safe for the parrot. That's the best way I can see to hopefully avoid that poor bird being rehomed yet again. She also stocks a good selection of foods, toys, and accessories at reasonable prices."
~ Saxguy64

Minnesota

Ohio

Parrot Hope Rescue

Mantua, OH

"Just got my fid from there. They offer classes open house events foster to adopt and ongoing support after adoption. Nice people and nice website too"
~ Icca

Vermont

Manchester Animal Shelter

490 Dunbarton Rd.
Manchester, NH

"We adopted a guinea pig from them, and based off PetFinder Pages, they keep all their budgies (and they only really get budgies) in large flight cages with plenty of toys!" ~ StormyPica

Washington

Kent

Inca's Secret Parrot Toys & Boarding

8433 S 212th St #105
Kent, WA

"Hey, these guys may very well not qualify as they are not a rescue - they are a parrot store that also does boarding, hand raises babies, etc, so they are not non-profit. They’re called “Inca’s Secret” and they’re located in Kent, WA.

However, they take in birds that need rehoming on consignment. The cost, last I checked, to “adopt” these birds is rarely anywhere near what they’d “retail” for as babies, but still high enough to deter someone casually looking for an exotic pet. I know they call it “consignment” but I am not certain if all of the birds they take in are consigned or if some are simply surrendered; I’ve never had reason to ask. These birds are seen by a vet and are cared for as you might care for your own bird at home. They arrange to allow the public (I’ve visited their birds many times :) ) to see the birds and say hello, and are always happy to introduce you to whichever birds are in their semi-permanent boarding. I’ve inquired about adopting before, and if you’re interested in adopting a bird, you have to come visit multiple times and the bird must show interest in you before you can talk about taking them home, which sounded about right to me. They don’t just take the “pretty” birds either; I’ve seen feather pluckers all the way up to an extremely large scarlet macaw who was sweet to me, but had been abused by her former owner who was male, to the point that she was not considered very safe around men.

Furthermore, Lisa & Jeff & all of the employees have always been wonderful about answering any questions I’ve ever had about my own birds, reccomending local (avian certified) vets as well as providing grooming services on the weekends at a low cost and requiring proof of CBC/yearly exam to bring in pet birds - they have the most stringent disease testing I’ve seen locally for boarding; we had to have a slew of tests sent off before ours could stay. The birds in their care are offered a balanced diet of chop made locally or in house & pellets, with some healthy treats depending on the bird. There is almost always someone hanging out in the “bird room” watching tv or cleaning or playing with the parrots also.

Again, they are not purely a rescue, so they might not meet the criteria for your list, and if so I apologize! If something terrible happened and we were no longer able to care for Kirby, they would be the first folks I’d call. They already know him well from his visits for nail trims & boarding, and they handled him with ease (he really seemed to like them). Also, important to me anyway, they know their resources and limits and will turn you down if they don’t have the capacity for another bird, which ensures the ones in their care receive adequate attention. I have seen too many rescues in my time volunteering with cats/dogs that chronically overextend themselves, and in the end it’s always the animals that pay.

I am aware that WA state, the Seattle area in particular, is fairly blessed to have other rescues as well as a no-kill city shelter equipped to handle smaller bird species like budgies and cockatiels, but I don’t have any experience with the other rescues like I do these guys."
~ ravvlet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts