Bird-safe electric griddle?

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Tashi, almost-2-year-old female moustache parakeet, Indian subspecies (Psittacula alexandri fasciata)
I've been put in charge of finding an electric griddle for my housemates since I'm the only member of the household with a parrot. I'm buying it to replace their nonstick griddle. Can you guys help me find one? I really have no idea what to look for aside from no Teflon.

This one looks like it might be OK, but like I said, I don't know what to look for.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7DM7X...abc_MDNW9JWTE0MH6H9H2FYP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Any ideas?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Most electric skillets are very unsafe. If something says "non-stick" there is an extremely high likelihood that it contains ptfe/pfoa/pfcs/teflon. Even if you used one around your bird before, these chemicals can damage the lungs permanently with each exposure. They shouldn't be used in the same house (even if you are on another floor).

call the company and make sure you have the serial number or product number of the item you are calling about
When you tell them why you are calling, they will almost certainly giveyou some empty words about their product being safe for the whole family. You will need to ask to verify if it contains the following (and make sure they actually check, because if they just say "no", they didn't even look--- it always takes time)

PTFE-POLYTETRAFUOROETHYLINE
PFOA -Perfluorooctanoic acid
PFCS- Perfluorochemicals
Teflon

Silicone (not teflon, but still dangerous to heat around birds)

You must spell each word "p as in pig, o as in octopus, l as in lake" etc etc--- make certain that they write down the full spellings and abbreviations of each.

The will generally transfer you to a new person and you will have to repeat it all. Expect someone to start and inquiry and get back to you in a few days.

There are some ceramic varieties that might be safe, but you will still need to call because sometimes the inner coils are coated in these chemicals even if the cooking surface is not.

If you can find some "green" websites for moms etc, a lot of those have recommendations on safer products, but at the end of the day, you will still probably have to call (unless you find a product that someone else has already verified to be free from these chemicals)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Probably going to be a difficult search ensuring all components of electric griddle (not just cooking surface) are bird-safe. Is a compromise of using outdoors reasonably possible, such as on patio? I know it sounds harsh, but the only other possibility is cooking at relatively low temperature. There is a risk of low-level chronic toxicity exposure even below high temp guaranteed deadly out-gassing.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Probably going to be a difficult search ensuring all components of electric griddle (not just cooking surface) are bird-safe. Is a compromise of using outdoors reasonably possible, such as on patio? I know it sounds harsh, but the only other possibility is cooking at relatively low temperature. There is a risk of low-level chronic toxicity exposure even below high temp guaranteed deadly out-gassing.

There have been tons of deaths documented below the "high" temperatures cited by duPont (maker of Telfon). The MU case with a bunch of broiler chicks is one of them (died from coating on new heat lamps)
infographic_thermometer.pdf
infographic_thermometer.pdf
https://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen <- good website

see infographic- https://static.ewg.org/reports/2003/canaries_in_the_kitchen/infographic_thermometer.pdf

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Electric griddles are a true waste of money!
Find a Cast Iron Griddle, season it properly and it will out last you and will always have value!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Another vote for cast iron. My wife has a 2 burner one (covers up 2 stove burners) that was her Pennsylvania Dutch granma's, gotta be over 100 yrs old.

Most Reactions

Latest posts