Bird Street Bistro

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Anybody here use the Bistro stuff? When I cook it I get mush and I don't know why. I use a small saucepan and follow directions. Birds will eat it if it's not too wet but half the batch I cook is mush.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I've never used it myself but have heard good things about it.
Perhaps you could try using less liquid than is called for? That may fix the problem.

Hopefully someone who uses it will come along and be able to help more:)
Good to see you, David!

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I use it and never had that problem. But I also double the recipe on the package and add a cup of sweet potato along with summer squash or pumpkin to cook with it. Then once it is cooled down I vacuum seal three days worth at a time for my birds. Thaw over night and serve with fresh veggies. It sounds like it might be too much water or you might be over cooking it. Are you cooking it with the lid on and on a low simmer? I have an induction cook top and I cook mine on level 2.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Anybody here use the Bistro stuff? When I cook it I get mush and I don't know why. I use a small saucepan and follow directions. Birds will eat it if it's not too wet but half the batch I cook is mush.
I love the product. I would cook it less and drain it through a colander and rinse it lightly after cooking it.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I love the product. I would cook it less and drain it through a colander and rinse it lightly after cooking it.
I use Viva la Veggies. I add things to it like frozen corn and finely diced sweet red peppers. I basically use it as a base for my chop.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Before serving it, I put a daily portion of my bird street bistro chop (with other stuff added) into a tiny strainer and run it under the hot water tap to rinse out any "mush" and warm it up so my bird thinks it's hot and fresh cooked. Then I put it into her food dish and she's all over it.

JinPicaJest

May 12, 2023
Parrots
Jingo - Cinnamon GCC
Picasso - Pineapple GCC
Court Jester - BCC
I just got my first bag -- gosh, this stuff smells amazing! I used the microwave directions on the bag and got sort of a dry cream of wheat or oatmeal texture - like oatmeal undercooked slightly. The grains were still whole but everything was very moist and softened nicely. There was no soupy liquid left. I kinda assumed that was how it is supposed to look ????

Anyway, all 3 conures dove right in. I'm very pleased with the product and glad I learned about it here! Thanks to all who have mentioned it - I saw it in several posts.

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I use it and mix it in with Ona's chop. I make it on the stove and it comes out as oatmeal-like consistency. I agree with trying less water if you want it a little more crunchy. May also try cooking for a little less time.

OP
JimsBrother

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Before serving it, I put a daily portion of my bird street bistro chop (with other stuff added) into a tiny strainer and run it under the hot water tap to rinse out any "mush" and warm it up so my bird thinks it's hot and fresh cooked. Then I put it into her food dish and she's all over it.
I did that yesterday and the texture changed to something that is much nicer. Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts