Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Has anyone tried this yet? How are parrots enjoying it? It appears like it could save a lot of time as making chop takes forever, and not to mention that it creates a huge mess. https://birdtricksstore.com/collect...products/freeze-dried-seasonal-feeding-system
Never tried it. It looks good though. I think you can get similar products at other places forbetter prices, though.

Christene's Chop Shop has nice stuff! Never tried them but I know people here have.

This looks healthy:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Much as I am not a B.T. fan, I am going to try the product. I'll update after I get and use the product. Salty is a pretty fussy eater but loves chop (mostly).

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
3 cups of stuff for $24? Way overpriced for the lack of ingredients (each of which you can curate yourself at the grocery store fresh/NOT freeze dried).

Itā€™s also heavy in beans, not great for ekkies to be quite so protein heavy.

Itā€™s fine, but as your primary diet? No. You can get Goldenfeast with 10x the ingredient diversity for the same price at higher quantities.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Organic Parrot Pellets

Just looked at Bird Tricks' organic parrot pellets. I'm not sure about the nutrition profile it has but otherwise looks good. I don't know how long the bag will last since they claim there is no chemical preservatives... The price is also competitive. I can't get Harrison's in Canada for a reasonable price. Normally 1lb sells for $30-$50 here.

I feed my suns Tropican Lifetime Formula. The only thing I dislike about Tropican is its artificial Bubblegum flavor.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Organic Parrot Pellets

Just looked at Bird Tricks' organic parrot pellets. I'm not sure about the nutrition profile it has but otherwise looks good. I don't know how long the bag will last since they claim there is no chemical preservatives... The price is also competitive. I can't get Harrison's in Canada for a reasonable price. Normally 1lb sells for $30-$50 here.

I feed my suns Tropican Lifetime Formula. The only thing I dislike about Tropican is its artificial Bubblegum flavor.
Birdtricks pellets are just rebranded TOP's... ingredients exactly the same.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah thats why I am not a B.T. fan usually, they just re-brand others products. The worst are the toys and 'tricks' like the $99 gram kitchen scale which is like $19 on AMazon and a t perch is $15

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am just curious how the birds are enjoying this newer product. Salty will hopefully let us know. Nico is such a picky eater, and I have tried quite a few different chops/veggies. He will eat if for a week, and then he's just done with it. My thought process was instead of making a huge batch of chop maybe this could save me time, and money. I also make quite the mess when making chop.

If there are other dried chops that are cheaper, and are better quality I will certainly try it out. My husband doesn't like the price of freeze dried chops, and thinks its still more cost effective to make it at home.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
That looks good, except the first ingredient is dried onion. I know thereā€™s some question about whether itā€™s ok to feed onion.

I used to get Just Veggies, which was freeze dried vegetable mix or single types of freeze dried vegetables. That was great but I recall it as expensive.
Ugg, forgot about the onions!

Rattlerjake

Oct 24, 2020
90g bag for $24.45?
It's FREEZE DRIED! All moisture is removed.
3 cups of stuff for $24? Way overpriced for the lack of ingredients (each of which you can curate yourself at the grocery store fresh/NOT freeze dried).

Itā€™s also heavy in beans, not great for ekkies to be quite so protein heavy.

Itā€™s fine, but as your primary diet? No. You can get Goldenfeast with 10x the ingredient diversity for the same price at higher quantities.
IT'S FREEZE DRIED, the others are dehydrated. Freeze drying removes all moisture and allows the food to be stored for decades vs a few months or a few years without loss of edibility or nutrition.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
It's FREEZE DRIED! All moisture is removed.

IT'S FREEZE DRIED, the others are dehydrated. Freeze drying removes all moisture and allows the food to be stored for decades vs a few months or a few years without loss of edibility or nutrition.

Iā€™m very aware of the difference between dehydrated and freeze dried food. Unfortunately Iā€™m not clear what your point is because you didnā€™t address anything I said. Can you please clarify what to try to say?

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I donā€™t see whatā€™s the controversy. I have lived in some lousy student housing/ ā€œflophousesā€ and I always at least had a mini fridge with a freezer section I could put a bag of veggies beans and rice (chop) or frozen vegetable mix for my birds.

Freeze dried vegetables are convenient but thereā€™s got to be some vitamin loss. And would you rather eat a nice fresh snow pea in the pod, or a freeze dried pea? Those just veggies I had were marketed for humans but they werenā€™t near as good as fresh vegetables.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I donā€™t see whatā€™s the controversy. I have lived in some lousy student housing/ ā€œflophousesā€ and I always at least had a mini fridge with a freezer section I could put a bag of veggies beans and rice (chop) or frozen vegetable mix for my birds.

Freeze dried vegetables are convenient but thereā€™s got to be some vitamin loss. And would you rather eat a nice fresh snow pea in the pod, or a freeze dried pea? Those just veggies I had were marketed for humans but they werenā€™t near as good as fresh vegetables.
Actually, between a frozen, thawed snow pea vs a freeze dried? The freeze dried are really good! Can be eaten anytime/anywhere! And the shelf life is off the chart!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Fresh snow pea podā€¦way yummier, imo. I planted too late to put peas in, darn it all. I love the peas.

Yes, the freeze dried pies are almost like those pea crisps, but a blanched frozen pea is quite nice, too. Shouldnā€™t be mushy but firm. And fresh or flash frozen has more vitamins (so if you CAN do the storage it may be worth it).

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
ā€œEchoā€ - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
My mom and I were just discussing ideas the other day about if getting a freeze drier for making some dry preserves for our tiny flock would be beneficial. We only have two birds and we live in Minnesota, so preserving leftovers and winter lowering fresh food availability are issues we face a lot.

Looking forward to seeing Salty's reaction to the blend, Wrench13!

Most Reactions

Latest posts