Birdie Blood

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
Sam fell off his cage this morning. About an hour later, I noticed blood in his cage and some on the floor. It is not in his poop, and he is acting normally. Also, it is now gone. Our vet opens in 30 minutes, so I will call him as soon as I can. I think he may have broken a feather when he fell, because he has many pin feathers and other growing feathers in his tail area. Any thoughts?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello Anita

I’m so sorry, I know this must be scary for you.

It’s hard to have thoughts without examining the bird first hand. maybe he broke a blood feather, maybe he scraped some skin. Does he have blood on him? Will he let you examine him?

OP
Anita1250

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Yes, I examined him. There was a little blood on one feather shaft. He has pooped several times, and there is no blood anywhere. It seems to have been two to three drops all together. None for the last hour.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
That’s a relief. If he broke a blood feather he’d still be bleeding.

Since there is no wet blood anywhere, personally I don’t think a vet visit is warranted. Not for a one time fall in the cage. Sounds like whatever the issue was, it’s over and done with. But of course by tall means take him if it will give you piece of mind.

OP
Anita1250

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
I spoke to my CAV. He is not too concerned either. He said just keep an eye on him for any more bleeding. This is the first time in 37 years he has had a mishap that had blood involved. A little disconcerting!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yeah- the feather will sometimes clot and stop on it's own. You want to make sure that he doesn't bump it though, or it could (in theory) start again.

OP
Anita1250

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Try to get him to stop hanging upside down and attacking his bells! Right now he is napping. I will keep my eyes on him at least until tomorrow.

Most Reactions