Birdie Bread Recipe???

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I saw a birdie bread recipe a while back but can't seem to find it now :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a good one that might get a picky eater to eat more veggies? :D

The one I saw had 2 jars of baby food in it (1 sweet potatoes & 1 another veggie), corn meal, whole wheat flour, and some chopped up fruits & veggies.

I finally remembered to buy the baby food today at the store so I want to make it and see if miss picky will eat it! :D

Maybe one that only makes a small amount since she is only one little bird!

Last edited:

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
I don't really have an exact recipe. But I usually do something like this:

1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup pellets
1 egg
1 shredded Apple
1 shredded carrot
1 diced stick celery
Diced peppers
Mixed nuts
1 tsp coconut oil
Enough liquid - water, milk, baby food to make a muffin like mixture

Mix it all up and cook on a low temp for an hour. This depends on the pan size and shape. Once I cooked it, I also sliced some up and put it back in the oven to completely dry it out and it make it like crackers. This was Bundii's favourite. The rest I just freeze in small portions and then just either defrost or reheat. Depending on my mood. :)

Most of the ingredients can be interchanged depending on your birdies preferences. Also a good way to get some of the green stuffs into them. I sometimes also shred up kale and mix through.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
That sounds like a great recipe to try once she can have the pellets and protein. I will definitely keep it for future use.

Thank you for posting it for me! :D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Here's my basic recipe. You might be able to adapt it for Zilla.

2 cups self rising whole wheat flour
1 cup almond flour
or 2 packages Jiffy cornbread mix
3 eggs with shells (washed and crushed)
1 1/2 cups organic cooked quinoi, couscous, brown rice, or rolled oats

I mix the first four ingredients and then add grated carrots, broccoli, peas, corn, chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, crushed red pepper, the list goes on, but you get the idea.
I usually add cooked, mashed sweet potatoes, but you could use baby food instead.

Cook at 350 for about 45 minutes or until it's brown and a toothpick comes out clean. I cut in 1 inch cubes and freeze it on cookie sheets, then put the squares in freezer bags. That way you can thaw them one at a time.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Thanks Allee, I think I could adapt that one for Zilla. I could leave the eggs out and use the baby food and chopped veggies.

The biggest problem I am having is she isn't allowed ANY protein at all for at least the next 21 days, possibly the full 90 days and it could be limited for the rest of her life to help her kidneys.

Also no dark leafy greens, no citrus, and no pellets (except what she gets in the 4 to 5 nutri-berries she gets a day)

I almost think this diet is harder on me than it is on her. She is a picky eater and it's hard to find things she likes and can have right now!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
That's a tough one, Amanda. I've never had to take ALL the protein out of a bird's diet. No pellets at all makes it even harder. What is her main source of nutrition?

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
That's a tough one, Amanda. I've never had to take ALL the protein out of a bird's diet. No pellets at all makes it even harder. What is her main source of nutrition?

She is allowed 4 to 5 nutri-berries a day, 1/2 to 3/4 cup seeds, and all the fresh fruits & veggies she will eat as long as there is no dark leafy greens or citrus and she can have nuts as long as they are roasted without salt (no peanuts) and she can have potatoes, sweet potatoes & squash.

I really think it's harder on me than her at this point! :eek: I feel so guilty at dinner time when I am eating fish or chicken and she is whining and begging for some and I can't give it to her. :(

Curious_Caique

Aug 20, 2014
I was very lazy and just dumped one corn muffin mix, one chopped apple and 1 over ripe smashed banana and then the amount of water the corn muffin mix called for. I baked it in 6 muffin tins until they were done. I then rubbed a bit of coconut oil with a smudge of honey over the top. Since I was making them for Korra's half birthday, I added a whole almond on top like a candle. I only let her eat about 1/4 of it though, and shared it around with all the fids.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
I change my birdie bread recipe every time I make it, it turns out well even when we're feeling lazy. Coconut oil and honey is a great idea, I'll have to try that. Thanks, Curious.

Most Reactions