Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Allee and I were on the phone one afternoon a couple of weeks ago, talking about things to cook for our birds. We started talking about how cool it would be to find a healthy cookie recipe for them, and I found one I wanted to try. It was a huge hit, even with the tiny birds once we crumbled it up.
I just wanted to share the recipe:)

2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Oats
1/2 TSP Baking Powder
1/4 TSP Baking Soda
1/2 TSP Cinnamon
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
1/8 Cup Pastuerized Honey
1/8 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
1 TSP Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Grated Carrot
1 Cup Grated Apples
1 Cup Diced Bananas

Preheat oven to 350F Degrees.
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Beat the egg in a separate bowl, then add in the wet ingredients (except for the carrots,apples and bananas). Next, add it to dry mixture and mix well.
Now add in the carrots, bananas and apples and mix well again.

Form the dough into 1 inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet, pressing them down just a little.
Cook for 13-15 minutes and cool on a rack:)

Sorry for the terrible picture, I didn't bother to check it after we took it.
birdcookies_zps1ykpq28g.jpg

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Terry, I can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you for sharing, and the cookies have already been taste tested by very sophisticated beaks! My birds will be delighted.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Allee and I were on the phone one afternoon a couple of weeks ago, talking about things to cook for our birds. We started talking about how cool it would be to find a healthy cookie recipe for them, and I found one I wanted to try. It was a huge hit, even with the tiny birds once we crumbled it up.
I just wanted to share the recipe:)

2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Oats
1/2 TSP Baking Powder
1/4 TSP Baking Soda
1/2 TSP Cinnamon
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
1/8 Cup Pastuerized Honey
1/8 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
1 TSP Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Grated Carrot
1 Cup Grated Apples
1 Cup Diced Bananas

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Beat the egg in a separate bowl, then add in the wet ingredients (except for the carrots,apples and bananas). Next, add it to dry mixture and mix well.
Now add in the carrots, bananas and apples and mix well again.

Form the dough into 1 inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet, pressing them down just a little.
Cook for 13-15 minutes and cool on a rack:)

Sorry for the terrible picture, I didn't bother to check it after we took it.
birdcookies_zps1ykpq28g.jpg

Great find Terry.

BB likes Carrots but hates Sweet Potatoes. Think I will try this but grate some Sweet Potatoes in instead of the carrots.
Thank you for sharing this.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Sounds like a hit I will be trying this recipe on PeterPan and Mr Biggles ...Peter Pan isnt crazy about birdie bread or cookies and just picks at them but Mr Biggles has started to enjoy them...thanks for sharing :)

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I would totally eat those cookies. I'm not sure I could be trusted to share them with Dexter.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truth be known, the only reason I opened this Thread was the word Cookies and then I saw the Birdie in front of the 'Key' word.

I am thinking that you're likely cooking at 350 degrees F. Since that is a common setting for cookies at my house.

I agree with Dexter's Mom, I foresee a pushing war at the cookie cooling area, with a DYH Amazon winging his way in against me shouldering my way in.

Thanks for sharing!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Terry, I can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you for sharing, and the cookies have already been taste tested by very sophisticated beaks! My birds will be delighted.

I so hope your flock likes them like mine did! Jury, who we were told did not like anything new went the craziest over them. I was so thrilled to see his reaction:)

Great find Terry.

BB likes Carrots but hates Sweet Potatoes. Think I will try this but grate some Sweet Potatoes in instead of the carrots.
Thank you for sharing this.

That's an awesome idea to use sweet potatoes...I think I will try that in the next batch as well. Let me know how BB likes them!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Sounds like a hit I will be trying this recipe on PeterPan and Mr Biggles ...Peter Pan isnt crazy about birdie bread or cookies and just picks at them but Mr Biggles has started to enjoy them...thanks for sharing :)

I hope Peter Pan will try them! I'd love to see Mr. Biggles eating one:)

I would totally eat those cookies. I'm not sure I could be trusted to share them with Dexter.

My Hubby and I ate a couple as quality control (haha) but then I made him stop because i felt guilty at eating the birds food..lol

Truth be known, the only reason I opened this Thread was the word Cookies and then I saw the Birdie in front of the 'Key' word.

I am thinking that you're likely cooking at 350 degrees F. Since that is a common setting for cookies at my house.

I agree with Dexter's Mom, I foresee a pushing war at the cookie cooling area, with a DYH Amazon winging his way in against me shouldering my way in.

Thanks for sharing!

Yep, 350F, I will edit the post and add the F, thank you:)
I made some birdie bread once when my daughter was coming over, and that batch had pellets and eggs shells in it. She grabbed a piece and took a bite before I could tell her, and she liked it so much she went ahead and ate the rest of the piece with a little butter..lol

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thank you for sharing your recipe, Terr! My wife's been on a big baking kick, lately, so I'm sure Jolly and Maya will be enjoying the benefits of your bounty in short order.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
You're welcome, HT, please let me know if they like them:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts