Birds and Music

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Do your parrots enjoy music? I know some are noise-makers themselves, and some parrots will "dance" to music, but does your bird enjoy hearing music made by others? Does each bird have a particular preference, like classical or jazz, or hard rock, or a devotion to, say, Frank Sinatra or Beyonce?

I was just thinking the other day how the painted turtle I had years ago looooooved flute music, and high-pitched music, and would stretch her head way out to listen. We figured it was because in the wild she would enjoy bird songs, but I was wondering if birds do, too?

Are any of your birds "percussionists" - I know the parakeets Dixie and Pixie, that Dad took care of one winter, one of them seemed to enjoy making fairly rhythmic patterns banging a dish from time to time, unrelated to food time or anything ... whereas the other one couldn't be bothered.

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
I believe parrots enjoy music but every bird is different in a way that none of them can be summarized to like one type of music.

I've heard parrots that love jazz and some that would become viscious of hearing music. It all depends on the bird just as it does on the human.

I've only heard birds sing, never heard of one banging items in a way to make music, that actually quite impressive!

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
My little guy, a budgie, loves his nature CDs...with birdsong. Of course, he also loves classical music, but not the aggressive kind. He prefers melody. I've even noticed that if I sing words to him, he perks up more often than if I just speak. He LOVES when I read aloud and often joins in with chirps and peeps.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
My Quaker parrot Ralph loves listening to music. He enjoys jazz and standards, classic rock and "oldies," and even some classical music (naturally, what he hears most is what I like to listen to :)). And he is indeed a Frank Sinatra fan-- "Ring-a-Ding-Ding" is one of his favorite songs, and he even likes to hear me sing it.

My Yellow-crowned Amazon George preferred opera and liked to sing along. He also enjoyed bad and off-key singers. :D Maybe "enjoyed" is the wrong word, 'cause he would usually squawk at them.

mygirl

Banned
Banned
Oct 4, 2010
Parrots
Female Eclectus
mylah loves music and in between songs she screams out more more more lol and if its a song she doesn't like she growls and barks at it she thinks shes a dog!

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
My amazon LOVES anything that is loud. We sing nonsense together often. He does a real good "Hit me with your best shot." :)

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
My GCC gets so excited when ever my boyfriend plays his electric guitar! He bobs up and down all fast and makes the same clicking chattering noises he makes when he plays with his favorite toy. He also really likes the song "caramelldansen" by the sweedish band Caramell.

OP
PetoftheDay

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Cool, it's fun to hear how everyone's bird has its own favorite - much like people, I guess!

How funny that Mylah "turns into a dog" and growls and barks when she doesn't like the music, that's not a reaction I have encountered before! Does she live with dogs?

Most Reactions