Birds and rehoming

May 17, 2020
My friend is rehoming his Alexander parrot that he has had for 3 years due to a variety of reasons such as his sisters allergy to the bird but the main one being that he no longer has time for the bird and he thinks it's best to give it to someone who can give it the time it requires as he barely has time to let it out everyday.
I have a few questions do birds get upset and miss thier owners and how long does it take them to recover from this?
Do birds who move from situations like this to a place where they get attention be happier?
He's really hesitant to rehome his bird but feels its the best thing to make the bird happy.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
yes, they absolutely get upset from this..Imagine losing a spouse of child-- that is how it feels for them (as they form seriously deep bonds and are flock animals-- re-homing turns their world upside down and is not something that happens in nature- barring extreme examples).. Some recover quickly, some take years, some never do. It all depends on the person taking the bird and then, on top of that, you have the feelings of the parrot-- does he/she like that person off the bat? Some people say, let the bird pick you (that is easiest) but with the right patience and behavioral knowledge, a person with ABA training and a high level of empathy can still get a bird like this on their side-- but it will be complicated...COMPLICATED! Just because someone has had that type of bird, does not mean they are prepared. Think about a child who has bounced around through the foster care system, and that is the best comparison I have. You must be a certain type of person, with an unwavering commitment and feel for the parrot's loss/not push too hard...while still recognizing potential and that everything this bird has gone through is not his fault.

if you had a husband or a child and suddenly, without warning they just were gone, how would you feel after years of that being your normal? It's the same for them.

they can and do move on, but not without the right person--- many people do not recognize the seriousness of their grief and push too hard. That is not the right person, if they behave as though this bird should be over it..

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
That having been said, if he is currently harming the bird with inattention to its needs, an angry family etc, sometimes, it is kinder to re-home...but it shouldn't be taken lightly.If a parent can't care for his/her child properly and it is harming the child, then sometimes, the child needs new parents. It is hard on everyone for sure, but I am not saying it is never justified. It does leave scars, and that is why birds bouncing home to home= so upsetting...because it happens.

BUT if he plans appropriately, it is not hopeless!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts