Birds finding me

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
About 3 months ago, we had some very strong winds here and during one of the calmer days my son came in saying he had found a budgie out the front of the house, so off we go thinking it would have flown off, but no he was still there, obviously tired out so we got out an old cage that we had cleaned it up and brought him in. He was a lovely little thing, white with a blue patch on his rump. We did the usual things notices all over the place, got intouch with the vets and RSPCA all to no avail, We knew he couldn't stay here so I got on the phone to a friend who has an aviary full of budgies she said she would take him in.

I heard from my friend a few mins ago and it turns out that the little lost budgie had fallen in love with one of her budgies who was exactly the same colour and he has just become a daddy,

It seems now that I don't even have to go looking for birds and pets anymore they seem to find me. LOL Birds, dogs, cats, hamsters, even a rabbit came calling one day.

MKay

Jan 25, 2006
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Pionus, YNA, WB caiques, quakers, goffin, lovebirds, GC conure, parakeet,
That's a cute story. It sounds as if she'll have a cage full of blue-rumped white budgies! :04:

I know what you mean about birds finding you. Though we haven't had a pet parrot on our doorstep, we have had two different fledging hawks flap and flop their way into our lives. Each were taken to the Raptor Rescue not far away. They raised and released them both.

I do have a few parrots here who's owners could not keep them anymore. The most recent is a green budgie named Jules. His partner died, and he was so distraught he called for her every day. Used to belong to my daughter's classmate. Her parents said they wanted to open his cage and "let him fly off" but instead, they asked if we would take him. Sure did! He's fine here, doesn't say much unless all the others are chattering, as he'll pipe in for a minute or two. Sure eats like a horse.. ;)

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
There are lots of birds out flying around loose. People do just open the door and let them go when they are sick of them. It's really sad. Then add it the accidental escapies. I have seen many Budgies in my area flying with a flock of small birds. They stay right with them like they belong. I don't think that they would survive too long if the small wild birds didn't let them join in. As far as birds on the back steps, I have had a few, but they were in cages dropped off in the middle of the night, even in the middle of winter. Unfortunately those birds are generally frozen to death by the time they are discovered in the morning. I'm glad you found a home for the little Budgie Greylady. He sounds pretty.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That is so sad, can't say I've noticed many budgies flying here with wild birds but then I've never really looked, I'll have to take more notice in future. I get so mad when people just let their pets go, there really is no excuse EVER, there is always somewhere they could take them. It makes my blood boil whenever I think about it.

If only people would think a bit more before they did these things, oh don't get me started I'll have my soap box out before you know it.

Michael

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Australian King Parrots
Lesser Jardines
Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw
f0623092.jpg

It sounds as if we've all been there. And I KNOW all of us would rather they came to us than be left to fend for themselves in an environment that they wouldn't survive.
This is Missy. She's a Red Bellied Parrot and came to my garden a few summers ago. She was fully flighted although she really couldn't fly that well. I would assume it might have been to being kept cage-bound, but I'm only assuming. Both of her feet are deformed and she just has two toes on each foot. She was thin when she arrived and I don't know if it was from her being out for a period of time or possibly the way she was kept.
Regardless, she is the sweetest, most entertaining bird that I have. She talks and can laugh heartily. When she does laugh, she rolls and rocks side to side.
When I found her and I went to get her, her first words to me were "put me down!"
I called local vets, ran an ad in the city newspaper as well as a local freebie paper. I advertised her as "finding a parrot," and didn't list the species.
I bet I had 50 calls from peole who lost every imaginable bird as well as those asking that if I wasn't going to keep her they would like to have her.
She went to the vet, checked out fine and only needed to put on a little weight, which she has.
Never regretted for a moment finding her...she was truly a gift.

Michael

Alison

Jan 19, 2006
Massachusetts
Parrots
B&G Macaw, CAG, Moustache Parrot Quaker, 4 Tiels, 2 Keets
And I KNOW all of us would rather they came to us than be left to fend for themselves in an environment that they wouldn't survive.

ABSOLUTELY!

Nice headshot of her. My attempts at head shots are usually very blurry. Got any full pictures of her?

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
She is a real cutie.

Alison, know what you mean about head shots, mine are always bad, except one that is really good. I was so impressed with it that I was showing it to everyone and saying I couldn't even remember taking it, "that because I took it" my son informed me, and he's only 11 :mad: LOL

Michael

Jan 24, 2006
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Australian King Parrots
Lesser Jardines
Senegals
Red Bellied
Moustache Parakeets
Green Cheek Conure Mutations
Peachface Lovebirds
Scarlet Chested Parakeet
Painted Conures
Military Macaw
f0623095.jpg

f062308e.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive...

This is when she came to me pre-weight gain. I don't have any current pictures, but I may try to motivate myself to take some!

Michael

Most Reactions

Latest posts