Birds from a pet store

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
I used to have a conure; hand reared and as one expects, very clingy. A dark day a couple of years ago a friend misunderstood when I was back from holiday - you can guess the rest.

I said I would never get another bird, but the other half really liked a couple of lovebirds that a friend wanted too get rid of.

They're six months old, from a pet store, have never been handled, and as you would expect, are terrified of people. Now I'm not expecting them to ever be particularly keen to spend time with us, but I'd like them to be able to get out of the cage and get a bit more freedom.

My plan was to give them as long as it takes to not be afraid of us approaching the cage, then as long as it takes for them not to be afraid my hand in the cage. If it gets to the point where they will step up, then I'll let them out.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Any plan that sets its foundation at working at the rate of the Parrot is a solid plan in my mind!
^^^^^ THIS!! ^^^^^
Take things slowly, reward good behavior, expect occasional setbacks.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I used to have a conure; hand reared and as one expects, very clingy. A dark day a couple of years ago a friend misunderstood when I was back from holiday - you can guess the rest.

I said I would never get another bird, but the other half really liked a couple of lovebirds that a friend wanted too get rid of.

They're six months old, from a pet store, have never been handled, and as you would expect, are terrified of people. Now I'm not expecting them to ever be particularly keen to spend time with us, but I'd like them to be able to get out of the cage and get a bit more freedom.

My plan was to give them as long as it takes to not be afraid of us approaching the cage, then as long as it takes for them not to be afraid my hand in the cage. If it gets to the point where they will step up, then I'll let them out.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
Let the bird set the pace is very reasonable. I am sure this'll work.
Love birds as they climb, hop around, playing and preening are beautiful to watch. Just make sure that you are also ok
if they only love their flock and don't ever want to step up at all.

I also have another question, since you have experienced with hand tamed bird, trust, bonding and all. There are many intelligent trusting birds that need RE home, would this suit you better than untamed lovebirds?

Looking at long term commitment, possibly 20 years or more so. The situation is actually this, one one hand, a rehome cockatail or conure or whatever bird is needing you. This will be long road of building a close relationship with a lot of satisfying headscratchings. Very few experienced home can take in these. You seem to be in this category, for me.

On another hand, a very far end of the spectrum, store bought unattached untouchable lovebirds, lovely to look at.
Many inexperience home can handle this.

Which is for you?

Most Reactions

Latest posts