Birds that get along with Alexandrine's?

babyfae

Dec 30, 2012
Pennsylvania, US
Parrots
Male Alexandrine, 9 months.
We are considering a second bird down the road. Are there any breeds in particular I should avoid, or that seem to get along better with Alexs' ? I'm considering a Pionus, or even a Myers but not sure. I would love to have an Indian Ringneck but I heard they are really noisy and screechie? I know the same can be true of Alexs', but I heard they can be worse then a cockatoo?:green2:

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Yes Indian ringneck sometimes can be pretty noisy, but not as loud as a cockatoo though. The truth is, any parrot can be noisy if they wants to. Even the most noisiest bird, you still can train it to stop screaming. I would try to find a bigger parrot than a alexandrine, since they SOMETIMES can become aggressive towards other bird, and can hurt or even kill a smaller parrot. Maybe a amazon, grey or mini macaw.

OP
B

babyfae

Dec 30, 2012
Pennsylvania, US
Parrots
Thank yoU!! I'm hoping someone on here has an alex with a different breed as well, but that is good advise!!:green2:

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
I also have two cockatiels. They once played with each other, but it seems that Ozzie was being a little bossy. And that was the only time I let them together so far, they still get to meet each other, but not on the same play stand though.

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i had an IRN when i had my previous alex, they werent exactly best of friends but got along when away from their cages (IRN was cage territorial, she was an abused rescue). i dont find IRN's to be noidy, except around sunset when they start contact calling.
i do believe another member on here has an alex aswell as as IRN and a conure (sun i think) hopefully he chimes in.

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I have two alexandrines they both get along with my IRN, Conure(Peach fronted) and even with my Bare Eyed Cockatoo. They love to play on the same play stand. Another other words my alexandrines will climb of their playstand and venture off to my other fids playstands. Though I still keep an eye on them when they are playing together.
I know Alex preens my conure all the time. :p
Those two are very close.

I think an IRN would be more suited as they are from the same family. My IRN isn't very loud. She does talk up a storm though and my alexandrine has copied watch she says :p

OP
B

babyfae

Dec 30, 2012
Pennsylvania, US
Parrots
Ash, would u say your IRN is louder then the Alex? Does it do a lot of :green2:screeching?

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
My neighbours IRN screams almost all day and is louder and more obnoxious than my cockatoo who rarely makes a sound in comparison.

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
One of my alexandrines is louder than my IRN. One of my alexandrines is extremely quite and when he does make a sound all he does is talk which is just like my IRN. She doesn't scream. All she does is talk and whistle. : ) Oh she does make cockatiel sounds :p

Most Reactions