BirdTricks.com One Day Miricles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
I was reading through a closed thread about them. I haven't bought any of their products. I also hate their sales methods.

Tab mentioned that they never send out anything for free and this last week, they finally sent out something for free that I found very helpful. It is one of their new episodes "One Day Miracles" It the full 30+ minute show. It shows how they helped a guy realize he was mistreating his bird by forcing it to setup and the bird was starting to fear him.

They helped him correct the problem with out making him feel too bad for causing his bird to be afraid of his hand. All and all, I thought it was well done and insightful to see real interactions between a parrot and owner.

Here is the link to the video: EasyVideoSuite

If you reply, please comments on the video. Feel free to point out anything bad about it, but please don't reply unless you watch the video. I would love to hear what you think about it.

Thanks,
Tom

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I really like Dave and Jaimie - Chet, not so much! I have ordered a few things from them, some I have liked and some not, but they are always great at giving my money back when I am disappointed, and I respect that.

About this particular video, I have never seen an episode before, but i general I tend to really respect Dave and Jaimie because of the way they respect their birds. Chet seems to be out for a buck, and also does dog training and children training videos that I have seen, where he uses different names but sells the same kind of products, with the same pushy selling techniques. It is important to realize that nothing they are saying about training is new or unique to them at all, they are simply very consistent in demonstrating long-trusted, tried and true basic training fundamentals. That said, they put things across in an easy to understand manner. I have their taming training and tricks package and was disappointed to see them demonstrate what is commonly called 'flooding' where you basically teach the bird he has no choice in life, they did this to taiko, their blue and gold macaw. Now, in this episode where Dave is much older, he specifically says NOT to force the bird, which is the opposite, I am glad to see he is learning.

The product of theirs that I ADORE is their cookbook set for cooking for your bird. Love it! Then again, it doesn't look like Chet had any tithing to do with it, so....

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
This particular info is given free all over the internet by people like Barbara Hiedenriech, bird tricks simply packages it in a colorful manor. They do some things such as sell recordings of parrots talking so your bird can learn to talk (very very low quality compared to the advertising - I returned it) and things like that. They do have a blog and a Facebook page ful of free info, and they sometimes do give away free stuff but I never know about it because I send their emails to my junk folder :p

OP
Chesphoto

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
I don't think any of the responses have watched this video...

Yes, they resell, repackage and profit off training... this is not what my post was about.

It is about this video where they go in someones home, watch them interact with their parrots and then show the owners how to fix the problem, communicate with the bird and build a positive relationship.

It is the concept and the advice of this particular video that I would love to read your thoughts on.

Thanks!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thanks for the link, was always interested in watching an episode of one day miracles.
I feel the information they used in the episode is useful, I already know this training style so to me the episode isn't useful. But if you don't this is gold. It's good when dave reminds the guy to let his bird eat before going in to the next step, and when he says he should back his hand up a little.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I did watch the video, which is why I was able to say that Dave said to respect the bird instead of forcing him :)

You really weren't clear on what you wanted people to discuss here. The video covers some very basic bird training techniques, and body language. It is something that would be good for bird owners to see, but there isn't much in depth or uncommon info here. The only thing I disagree with in the video is the very end where they claim switching to their pellets will improve the birds health without discussing what the birds are already eating. Yes the pellets are organic, abut they are still processed. I don't believe in a pellet based diet no matter how "good" the pellets are. It is better than an all dry seed diet, yes, but we shouldn't measure our birds diet based on "is it better than the worst possible thing?"

*ducks as people throw tomatoes for not promoting pellets*

Was there a particular point in the video you were wondering about?

Oh, the other thing I noticed was that the amazon seems to have a very overgrown beak, which typically is due to an underlying health issue, and I would have liked to see them mention that the bird should see a vet.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think the concepts were fairly basic (it is a free video), but what I found important was them explaining to people about WHY they should train birds who are food motivated when they are hungry (there seems to be a lot of confusion about that and misinformation about it being cruel) and even MORE important, not to baby them! Overall, I think the Womach brothers are good bird trainers, and everyone has to learn somewhere. They package their courses in such a way, a certain type of person connects with the concepts (not everyone relates to someone droning on about the benefits of positive reinforcement). I don't think they could have picked a better couple to highlight. Totally clueless about why their birds were behaving badly, but seemed to really connect and relate and most importantly UNDERSTAND the concepts in the way they were presented. Theres a lot of bird owners out there like those people, and if you noted at the end, they said had they NOT made progress that day with Merlin, he would have been rehomed. Whether they learned it from a college educated professor type or the "salesman" type bird tricks people, at the end of the day, Merlin got to stay with his original family and they are now learning to have a better relationship with him (and they genuinely seemed to care about him, but were totally clueless). I think thats what most important (even if I don't *personally* want to follow them). We don't all learn in the same way.

Last edited:
OP
Chesphoto

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
You really weren't clear on what you wanted people to discuss here. The video covers some very basic bird training techniques, and body language. It is something that would be good for bird owners to see, but there isn't much in depth or uncommon info here.

You were right, I wasn't very clear... I guess I was looking to see if what they showed in the video were good techniques or bad techniques. To me, they seemed good, but before I bought anything, I wanted some input.

What I liked the most was the concept of the One Day Miracles. I have seen many videos of trainers with well behaved birds and showing you how to train them. Not very helpful... I'm sure that some of them were birdtrick.com videos. ;)

Here you have regular people with problem birds being taught how to train their own birds. It would be like having Birdman come over and help you with your parrots problems. Or instead of watching Fargo doing all those amazing tricks, it would be like having Tab come to AZ and teach me step by step how to train Skittles to perform the tricks.

Airfare being what it is, these videos seem cheap. :D

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian

Yes, they resell, repackage and profit off training... this is not what my post was about.

It is about this video where they go in someones home, watch them interact with their parrots and then show the owners how to fix the problem, communicate with the bird and build a positive relationship.

It is the concept and the advice of this particular video that I would love to read your thoughts on.

Thanks!

Unless you're in the business, I don't understand the interest in the video specifically, but be that as it may, here's my reply to your request.....

I'll have to agree with SilverSage that hyping other of a company's products with open ended statements may not be in the best interest of those buying the product(s), but then that is the way too many of the products are sold in the pet industry and it is incumbent on a bird's owner to do their own research so that they may make the best, informed, decisions for their animal charges.....

I also agree with Kiwibird that even though we may not personally like/approve of a presenter's method of presentation, there may, in the end, be a message imparted in a particular offering, even though it is basic knowledge that a companion bird owner should learn, either before or soon after obtaining their companion bird.....

Now, if you're looking for critiques to better the package/production, get rid of the tacky background music...it is not well researched and if the production can't afford something better, that stuff should be left off all together; do something about the existing stage/house lights...get rid of the confetti fade ins-outs and get rid of the hot-spot fades; I've seen first-time freshmen high school stage productions that offered better flow & consistency.....

Take the ribbon band off the bottom of the screen, it's pretty easy to hide the tacky header, but trying to hide the ribbon tends to squeeze the image too much; lose the extra crew movements and the non-essential equipment in scenes, shooting out-takes for future use is distracting; the tinny, talking-in-a-box sound quality makes their offerings appear less than professional.....

Like some others have noted, I am not a fan of the Womach Brothers offerings, but do think Dave and his wife do a much better job of being frontmen or should I say persons, for their videos and while I have seen a couple of short clips of their offerings, this is the only video of theirs that I have watched through. Though I understand they may be trying to relate that training is best done in a casual setting/atmosphere, old T-shirts, with spiked hair, body piercings & the holy jeans worn by the video's commentator seemed to receive more video time than did the backup/supporting bird.....

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I get the feeling that Dave and Jaimie, who btw are basically circus performers, and have in fact traveled with a famous circus, just want to help birds and help bird people, and they happen to be related to Chet, who makes his money as a 'professional trainer' on the internet :p Dave and Jaimie also have some home video style pieces on YouTube just about simple things like getting your bird to not bite you, similar to this episode. I find most of their products to be way over hyped and under performing, but like I said they have a great return policy. I don't recommend them when people as who I recommend, but I also don't frown and shake my head when people buy their products. One thing I really noticed about this in particular is that they gently and respectfully showed the people what they were doing wrong in their attempts to be good to the birds, like feeding breakfast first, and covering the tops of the cages, etc. I liked the emphasis on the importance of reading body language and being respectful, but to me that is the basics of bird relationships. As someone said before, if you don't already know this, it is gold. You have to know this stuff, so the more people who out it out there, the better.

One note in General is that while Chet claims to show you birds that have never been trained, and does in a couple of clips, he usually uses tiko the b&g, who is previously trained, which to me is hypocritical as that is exactly what he claims not to be doing.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I had kind of written off these guys [seemed gimmicky ] .So I wouldn't bother paying attention to their stuff. But I have to say I was really impressed and enjoyed their video :). I don't clicker train or do treats as rewards [myself] Do you?. I watch body language and do over the top praise [it works for me].But it was nice seeing them share tools as a beginning point. Thanks for sharing!!

OP
Chesphoto

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw

Thanks!

Unless you're in the business, I don't understand the interest in the video specifically, but be that as it may, here's my reply to your request.....

Now, if you're looking for critiques to better the package/production, get rid of the tacky background music...it is not well researched and if the production can't afford something better, that stuff should be left off all together; do something about the existing stage/house lights...get rid of the confetti fade ins-outs and get rid of the hot-spot fades; I've seen first-time freshmen high school stage productions that offered better flow & consistency.....

I completely agree about the lack of style with regards to the package/production and video editing. But I have nothing to do with them and am not in the business.

I have Skittles, a rescued scarlet macaw who is an amazing bird with me... She has bitten my wife and daughter and has chased my son. I have gotten a lot of help here, read a lot but still need some help training her to not be a one person bird. I also volunteer at a rescue shelter and I thought these videos might help some of the new volunteers learn about interacting better with some of the birds.

So the reason that I posted was to get feed back about the methods they are currently showing. I have read so much bad stuff about them that I was wary to get anything from them. I know it's not a big purchase, but I still don't like wasting money.

Thanks,
Tom

OP
Chesphoto

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
I had kind of written off these guys [seemed gimmicky ] .So I wouldn't bother paying attention to their stuff. But I have to say I was really impressed and enjoyed their video :). I don't clicker train or do treats as rewards [myself] Do you?. I watch body language and do over the top praise [it works for me].But it was nice seeing them share tools as a beginning point. Thanks for sharing!!

After watching the video, I bought a $1.49 clicker at PetSmart and a small bag of raw sunflower seed at Sprouts. Within 10 clicks, Skittles knew that click meant treat. Then, touch a chop stick, hear a click, get a treat. With in a day, she would climb over anything to touch the stick and get a treat. The next day she was turning around, by following the stick. Still not doing it with just a verbal cue, but getting close.

So, this free video and $2 bucks for a clicker and some seeds and we are both having a lot of fun. :09:

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
I think that people need to use any available resources that will work for their birds. the techniques that one trainer uses, might not work for one bird but the techniques of another trainer will. There are many types of training techniques available and not just one type will work for every bird. of course there are bad training techniques videos out on the web and people should excise caution before using any training techniques on their bird or parting with their money.

The part that I find impressive is that David goes into a person's home and applies training techniques that seem to work in correcting the issues that the bird owners are experiencing with their bird. there aren't many trainers that seem to do that. Most training videos I seen are in a room with a well behaved bird on a stand. From where I'm looking it seems that those birds are already trained prior to the videos. so to me that is misleading.

I think that David Womach as a unique ability to connect with birds. Chet is the business side of the company and is putting off people because he comes across as being more interested in the money than the birds.

this is just my observation.

NiRD

Feb 12, 2014
United States
A good trainer will have a bad of techniques to cycle through. If a person only has one technique, they are not worth your time. Each animal is different. I have food motivated birds, toy motivated birds, affection motivated birds, life reward motivate birds. I have birds that are very interested in working for people, and a bird who is more independent. I have friendly birds and not so friendly birds. I even have a bird who is aggressive. When I work with clients' birds, the first thing I have to figure out is what motivates them, what their drives are, and what is the best approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions