Bite Pressure Training...huh?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Whilst reading a thread last night, I saw members referring to bite pressure training. In all my research since getting Percy, I've never come across this concept.

Please enlighten me - what is it and how does one do it?

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
Bite pressure training is allowing your bird to bite (Because that's natural thing for birdies to do!) but teaching them what pressure is OK and what hurts.

Ideally, this means the bird understands that biting hard is not OK, so if you ever do get bitten one day for some reason, it should be less severe then from a bird who has not been taught how to control itself.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
It would be like training your puppy not to bite too hard, that 'mouthing' is ok, but biting is not, and like training your cat not to scratch you, but that pawing you is ok. I've heard people when training their birds about biting yell "OWWWW" when too hard, or "NO", etc., it's really the same thing.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
How about some tongue probing training? Sometimes I get tired of Valentino's need to poke his tongue in my eye, ears and mouth. Is the Red Fronted Macaw part French? Really? What is his need to do this to me?

To keep post on track. I play with Valentino's break and during the play if he clamps down at a certain pressure I say OW! or NO! and he stops and checks himself. I say OW when it does not actually hurt so he thinks he is hurting me and learns that that pressure is unacceptable. Yes, part of parrot ownership is you will get bit. I have rarely had blood drawn but for me and my small hands it more the pressure that takes out a finger bruising it enough for it to have to heal.

The only time Valentino gets me with too much pressure is he is afraid, angry or is being a klutz and in a fall.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
OK, I've been practicing bite pressure training with my green slasher and thus far we've been able to learn that :-

* A bite with a wide open mouth gets a "ouch, you're hurting mommy!" And so we *try* not to do that, IF we feel like it and the weather is ok and the moon is in the right phase...
* So, then, in an effort to be gentler, we bite with a small mouth...meaning now, instead of being cut by the bottom mandible, I get pierced with the top one! LOL!!

He's definately trying but I think the gutt reaction of "I have to bite this woman" is hard to shake, apparently :rolleyes:

But we are making progress with beak play - he's learned that an open beak with no biting is ok (and earns treats) but if he bites, I walk away and with that, the pumpkin seeds vanish too ;)

Baby steps baby steps...:rollingba:rollingba:rollingba:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Amazons are more excitable and play rougher, in many respects, than macaws do. So, it's harder to accomplish with an amazon, but still possible.

Mine pinch me when they are upset, rather than bite.

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I hear all about beak pressure training but no one out there seems to explain how you do it.

Any kind of reaction out of me will just encourage the bird so what do I do just ignore and when she gets to acceptable pressure let out a hurray?

I am being serious

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is well explained and is worthy of your search. This Thread occurred in 2013, ten years ago.
I work with older Amazons, commonly abused, ill and no want to interact with another human and I am able to vastly reduce bitting pressure.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Bite pressure training goes hand in hand with bite training, Look up Shunning on here. Basically when the bite is too hard, tell the parrot "Easy there" or other words, place him on a nearby handy chairback or neutral place (NOT his cage) and turn your back to him for 1 minute, no longer , no less. No peeking no eye contact, no talking about him or the bite. After 1 minute you can re-engage. THis has to be done EVERY time the bite occurs or the pressure is too much. And all must do it. It does work, may take time, but it will do it.
This is how parrots in the wild chastise unruly youngsters.

Most Reactions