Bites, won't step up

AlexHenretty

Jul 20, 2019
Parrots
I have 3 budgies, Athena, Aris, and Percy. I also have two tiels. 3 year old Wuapo and 31 year old blind Sammy
Hello guys!!! So I have a cockatiel here, I've had him for well over a year now and I haven't found anything to help.. So he's not exactly completely aggressive towards hands. If i go to pet him, he's completely fine. I can kiss him, and pet his head. As SOON as I try to get him to step up he will either consistently bite me or (his favorite thing to do) fly up to the blinds. The biting, I can tolerate. But I can't continue training if he keeps flying away.. People have told me that He's bored and i should do shorter training sessions. But he will do this the first time I even ask him. Not even a minute into training. I usually try to train on top of his cage since he's always there. I tried getting him to step onto a perch first, but he just flies away.. Basically, if my hand is below his head, bite. I want to be able to hold him. The only time I can hold him is if he flies to the blinds. Even then, half the time he flies back to his cage.. I'm at a loss of what to do. I want to be able to hold him and interact with him more. I'd love any advice :yellow1:

OP
A

AlexHenretty

Jul 20, 2019
Parrots
I have 3 budgies, Athena, Aris, and Percy. I also have two tiels. 3 year old Wuapo and 31 year old blind Sammy
Update: I've been working with him a lot more lately, and I got him to start stepping up!! Due to his association with the word "Step up" I don't use those words anymore. Instead, I say "C'mon" and he will waddle on over and hop up!! I don't really know why he decided to start? I haven't done much different.. He's still pretty cage aggressive which I will have to figure out how to deal with that. but things are moving forward

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I think your original post was missed somehow! Normally, this sort of thing would have A LOT more replies, so thank you for sticking with us and for the update!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Well done hun that is great work! Reward the heck out of the good bits. Tiny morsels of whatever he likes best especially if you don't put that food in his normal feed. You may find you achieve more away from his cage; another room?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
wait "come on" is my flock call....your infringing on my flock call trade-mark.

Never mind you flock can join ours......

Come on!

:white1: + :gcc:

Most Reactions