sundae

Mar 7, 2022
hell
Parrots
quaker parrot / monk parakeet
cockatiel
I have a problem with my newest parrot- a quaker. He is a 2yo male.
He likes to hang out with people, will sing, and fly to you to check out what are you doing. The thing is- whenever there's a piece of skin in his reach, he will start preening and then biting really hard out of nowhere. He doesn't have any fear of hands, everyone is able to pet him. He will also fly up to you and sit on your arm... but for about 10 seconds before he' starts preening, and then- biting.
When I work on my PC or read, he will come to me and start doing it, completely undisturbed (he will do it also when playing, so he doesn't; do it for attention). He does it only with skin- he doesn't like toys and he doesn't bite any furniture.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Be patient, take some time, and don't react to bites at ALL. I've said that more times than I can count, but seriously - don't. It really helps.
And so does target and basic trick training. Try it out, see how your quaker likes it, and go from there.

OP
sundae

sundae

Mar 7, 2022
hell
Parrots
cockatiel
Be patient, take some time, and don't react to bites at ALL. I've said that more times than I can count, but seriously - don't. It really helps.
And so does target and basic trick training. Try it out, see how your quaker likes it, and go from there.
He is already trained- he knows the basic target training and some more advanced ones like the gun one (where he needs to play dead). Also, I cannot ignore it at all, everywhere I go, he will do it. I cannot even work (since I work from home) without him finding a way to bite.
I tried to ignore him, but it only resulted in my hands being bloody (I gave minimum 2 bites on every finger). It's been going on for all of the time he has been with me.
Is there something other I can do since this method clearly doesn't work with him?
Also, he's a special needs parrot, diagnosed with anger issues. That's why no one adopted him at first

OP
sundae

sundae

Mar 7, 2022
hell
Parrots
cockatiel

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Thanks for the suggestion!
I tried to train with him from yesterday on it and it does seem to work. The only bad thing is that now he is biting wounds and when he does, it doesn't work anymore.
A couple of days wont bring out much..
I suggest you keep trying for atleast a week or so
Patience is key!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
love to see pictures of him.
I know previously you talked of his obsessively preening you. And this has evolved now to bites.

Everybody has shared good tips.

I think this is a little different than typical bites, because of his past. But all the advice should still apply.

What I do with mine is the shunning. If they bite me I raise them up to eye level and tell them no that's not nice, then I shift them to a perch. And the bite pressure , as they start breaking me i tell them be gentle, when it passes gentle I do the above.
Good luck, keep us updated

Most Reactions