Bitting

SarahY

Dec 9, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Hi
It's been around 2 months since I've been taking care of my lovebird and since day one, bitting was an issue.
He doesn't seem scared of my hands because he is fine taking food from me but whenever my hands get close to his cage or I get him out, he lands on them and start nipping the tip of my fingers or fights with my nails(if I let him he would also be very happy bitting me in the neck or ear!). He spends all his time out of the cage either on my hands or climbing my shoulder so I have to wear gloves all the time :/
I've tried telling No firmly(pressure training?!), shaking my hand ,putting him down and leaving the room(he gets very scared when I leave) and holding his beak until he let's go off my finger (basically all the suggested methods on the internet) but none of them seem working and they make him furious :`(
Is there any hope? Can i reduce the amount of biting I get? Am I taking it to fast and should just slow down?

OP
SarahY

SarahY

Dec 9, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Hi
It's been around 2 months since I've been taking care of my lovebird and since day one, bitting was an issue.
He doesn't seem scared of my hands because he is fine taking food from me but whenever my hands get close to his cage or I get him out, he lands on them and start nipping the tip of my fingers or fights with my nails(if I let him he would also be very happy bitting me in the neck or ear!). He spends all his time out of the cage either on my hands or climbing my shoulder so I have to wear gloves all the time :/
I've tried telling No firmly(pressure training?!), shaking my hand ,putting him down and leaving the room(he gets very scared when I leave) and holding his beak until he let's go off my finger (basically all the suggested methods on the internet) but none of them seem working and they make him furious :`(
Is there any hope? Can i reduce the amount of biting I get? Am I taking it to fast and should just slow down?
*he is not young so it's not out of curiosity

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Ways to fix biting issues:
-more to do
-plenty of toys
-time-outs
-target training
-patience
-not reacting to bites

Most Reactions