Black edges on feathers

JFields

Nov 19, 2021
Knoxville TN
Parrots
Severe Macaw
Hi all!!
I still have my screamer Henry, but he's getting better(praise the Lord).
I've noticed the edge of his feathers turning black. He's on seed, fresh fruits and veggies. He gets 1 animal cracker every afternoon. What else can I do?

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
what are the ingredients of the seeds? I dunno how it looks like in America, here they often have much too many sunflowers (and it is very unhealthy)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is over preening ( tho great diet equall great feathers)
So more activities, more out of cage time, reduce any stressor. As you want to prevent this from developing into plucking something macaws have a tendency towards.
Gentle mist upwards and let fall on feathers just a light mist to help if its to dry. Plus offering baths.
Once feathers look like this they have to be molted out and replaced to look different. So if you've made a positive impact on over preening, yiu have to wait to see your results as new feathers come in.

Burds do a lot of normal feather maintaining and preening. So you usually don't see anything when they are doing this, just tge results on feathers.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
You may want to cut down on the seed, depending on how much you're feeding. I'd say 1/4 cup tops for a GCC, and make sure it's not super fattening seeds like sunflower seeds.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It doesn't have to be overpreening - without photos we can't say it. It may be caused by wrong diet
I've seen a ton of parrots on crap diets. The feathers dont present this way.
This is over preening.
But I agree a picture would be nice

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I've seen a ton of parrots on crap diets. The feathers dont present this way.
This is over preening.
But I agree a picture would be nice
yes, they present in this way. Too fat diet --> liver illness --> black feather tips

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've worked with so many parrots sick parrots, fat , liver disease , eating only sun flowers, parrots . Lots of first person experience , looking at feathers in person. So from my years of experience with thosee kinds of parrots, I stand very firm.

With parrots like you mentioned , you can have dull feathers, yellowing of feathers, change in color of feathers, bronzing, worn feathers that loose some of the color at the festher tips. But they won't be black feather tips, prolonged molt, or delayed molt, retaining feather sheaths. Stress bars.

Nutrition and feather health definitely important, I agree with you on that.

I'm just sharing to get the right info out there about black feather tips. From my first hand experience, medical fosters with every kind of issues. Maybe there are others who have linked it to health, but its possible those parrots had mixed issues, both Nutrition and behavior.

Example, thinking Amazon on only sunflower seeds, fatty liver, vitamins A deficiency. I haven't seen one with black tipped. This species is less likely to over preen and pluck. ( edit: I'm sure there are some, I've just seen several with above issues that did not)

Some more examples, parakeets and cockatiels are often victims of an all seed diet. Suffer low vitamin A, fatty liver, nutritional issues. But also are a species that rarely over preens or plucks . Think of all that you have seen, no black feather edges.

With this parrot being a macaw, already has behavior issues of screaming , is eating veggies and fruits. All indicators point to over preening starting feather destruction behavior.

Pictures would definitely clarify.

I'm passionate, because I really want to help parrots.

And recognizing over preening, and or barbering feathers, and taking action can prevent more feathers destruction. Help now can prevent feather plucking from starting. Its a big clue that changes need to be tried and our parrots are feeling stressed.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So glad Henry's screaming is improving, it's tough, and takes time. Working to preempt screaming session from getting started, redirecting, random treat praise while quiet, and working towards longer and longer times between screaming to create new habits whats helped me . Some individuals have a lower threshold for inactivity .

I don't know if you are using foraging, but it really helps.

OP
JFields

JFields

Nov 19, 2021
Knoxville TN
Parrots
Severe Macaw
So glad Henry's screaming is improving, it's tough, and takes time. Working to preempt screaming session from getting started, redirecting, random treat praise while quiet, and working towards longer and longer times between screaming to create new habits whats helped me . Some individuals have a lower threshold for inactivity .

I don't know if you are using foraging, but it really helps.
He isn't interested in foraging... he's had tons of toys and could care less so I've had to resort to giving him a magazine everyday.
I'll try to get some pictures. He has a vet appt in the morning just to ease my mind there's nothing wrong with him... other than he thinks I'm his mate, so anytime I'm around his feathers are all puffed up.

OP
JFields

JFields

Nov 19, 2021
Knoxville TN
Parrots
Severe Macaw
what are the ingredients of the seeds? I dunno how it looks like in America, here they often have much too many sunflowers (and it is very unhealthy)
It does have a lot of sunflower seeds but he prefers the pumpkin seeds.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
You may want to make a healthier seed mix, that sounds pretty fatty.
I know it's mainly for small birds, but I'm sure you could add bigger seeds, nuts, etc. (just not too much)

OP
JFields

JFields

Nov 19, 2021
Knoxville TN
Parrots
Severe Macaw
He isn't interested in foraging... he's had tons of toys and could care less so I've had to resort to giving him a magazine everyday.
I'll try to get some pictures. He has a vet appt in the morning just to ease my mind there's nothing wrong with him... other than he thinks I'm his mate, so anytime I'm around his feathers are all puffed up.
20220206_195000.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Let us know what vet says. Always good piece of mind and to be sure to rule out any health cause .

Not looking to bad for feather over preening, when was last molt?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
foraging like in the video doing it together for some treat seeds. Should be something he can learn to play at . Even just place a seed in table in front if him and put a piece of paper over. It's worthwhile to spend time fooling around with stuff like this. Builds confidence , engages them.

Toys for mine consists of stuff they can destroy, or stuff I hide food in, and things they like to play with feet and pick up and carry.

OP
JFields

JFields

Nov 19, 2021
Knoxville TN
Parrots
Severe Macaw
Let us know what vet says. Always good piece of mind and to be sure to rule out any health cause .

Very says it's

Vet says it's from preening because he is sexually frustrated. He doesn't give hormone shots but our vet school does. His weight is good. Trimmed his beak for me cause my arms are a mess.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Absolutely great to have vet check up. Now you know for sure over preening, but not the worst I've seen im not seeing feather tips bitten off.
So you can hopefully re direct behavior.

Everybody wants to blame everything on hormones. And yes hormones can be a factor. Absolutely, especially in puberty.

But ..boredom is the bigger issue in my mind. You have got to get him chewing up and destroying stuff. Eating way more different varieties of veggies and food stuff that's also enrichment. Foraging even if its easy and just for treats and seeds. Foraging has to be taught encouraged and praised.

He seems to have some confidence issues and that plays a role in handling stress. Often linked to how they were weaned and weaning age. But you can help become more confident and curious and engaged.

I have a stress thread I will link. It talks about using comfort feeding before bedtime

Last edited:

Most Reactions