Black mark on cockatiel’s beak

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! My male cockatiel has this weird black line or mark on one side of his beak. I don’t think he had this mark when we first got him around 2-3 months ago.

Is this normal? I heard young birds have it. He is a Lutino pied I believe, so could it be a mark his type of breed have?

I have 2 pictures below of the mark Im referring to :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 052EC983-A4A5-4438-B6D6-7236488D5046.jpeg
    052EC983-A4A5-4438-B6D6-7236488D5046.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 218
  • EFB2BBB0-1605-4922-9BD2-87FE43344970.jpeg
    EFB2BBB0-1605-4922-9BD2-87FE43344970.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 220

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello! My male cockatiel has this weird black line or mark on one side of his beak. I don’t think he had this mark when we first got him around 2-3 months ago.

Is this normal? I heard young birds have it. He is a Lutino pied I believe, so could it be a mark his type of breed have?

I have 2 pictures below of the mark Im referring to :)

Thanks!
Hi, did you try washing it off with water? It might just have been something that got stuck, otherwise I can't help.

Also, that is definitely not a lutino. Just because a bird has a lot of yellow doesn't make it lutino. Lutino cockatiels are fully yellow, with maybe some darker yellow or light brown/tan markings(in pearl cockatiels).

Here is an interesting article on lutinos:

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi, did you try washing it off with water? It might just have been something that got stuck, otherwise I can't help.

Also, that is definitely not a lutino. Just because a bird has a lot of yellow doesn't make it lutino. Lutino cockatiels are fully yellow, with maybe some darker yellow or light brown/tan markings(in pearl cockatiels).

So is he just like a pied? I’m sorry I don’t know much about types of cockatiels, I had a friend who’s been taking care of birds and raising them for a lot of years come over and look at him and she said his behaviour and looks all point towards him being a male, which is what the breeder told us. And the “lutino pied” thing I just assumed on my own :)

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

Also to your question - I don’t think you can wash it off, it looks like a stain or mark 🤷‍♀️ I looked up about this on Google and Reddit and a lot of people are saying that it’s normal and common in young cockatiels

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
So is he just like a pied? I’m sorry I don’t know much about types of cockatiels, I had a friend who’s been taking care of birds and raising them for a lot of years come over and look at him and she said his behaviour and looks all point towards him being a male, which is what the breeder told us. And the “lutino pied” thing I just assumed on my own :)
I think your cockie is just a pied :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
a beautiful amazing color tiel!!! 💘 😻

I don't know anything about color mutations or normal baby beak colors. Bow to the knowledge of tiel people on this.

But I know this can possibly be a sign of chronic sinus infection. Having a groove under nares with discoloration . And black on a lighter color beak can indicate chronic inflammation, liver inflammation, poor all seed diet.

So as always when in doubt check with avian veterinarian.
Does he have any bright green stain around poops? Not counting first morning poop witch green stains are normal from fasting abd holding poops overnight ( in non budgies)

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
a beautiful amazing color tiel!!! 💘 😻

I don't know anything about color mutations or normal baby beak colors. Bow to the knowledge of tiel people on this.

But I know this can possibly be a sign of chronic sinus infection. Having a groove under nares with discoloration . And black on a lighter color beak can indicate chronic inflammation, liver inflammation, poor all seed diet.

So as always when in doubt check with avian veterinarian.
Does he have any bright green stain around poops? Not counting first morning poop witch green stains are normal from fasting abd holding poops overnight ( in non budgies)
Thanks for the reply! His poops are always normal looking with no green stain around and overall his behaviour and appearance look healthy (he’s active, happy and looks normal.) I have a question about when you mentioned “all seed diet:” We got him around 2 or 3 months ago and I don’t think he ever had veggies. So far, he likes spinach broccoli and parsley (he just licks everything else and doesn’t actually eat it.) I recently started making him bird chop but I don’t know how to make him actually eat a good amount daily :( I mixed his seeds in it but he only tries it a little bit then rejects the veggies, he’s very picky! He loves spinach A LOT though. Right now he mainly eats his pellets and some seeds the most, but it would be great if I can get him to eat veggies on a daily basis for a healthy life.

Below I have attached screenshots to some comments I’ve seen on “talkcockatiels” and Reddit and “birdavnue” regarding this, and all the pics of the people who posted their threads have the exact same thing on their tiel’s beak.

Attachments

• 525820CE-FD18-4054-9A2F-E4E0877332CC.jpeg
    525820CE-FD18-4054-9A2F-E4E0877332CC.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 78
  • C0D5D6F4-5C6F-4AB9-8D49-E34C2052A5B3.jpeg
    C0D5D6F4-5C6F-4AB9-8D49-E34C2052A5B3.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 5735E24A-7B94-459E-BB6A-43F3C6943A93.jpeg
    5735E24A-7B94-459E-BB6A-43F3C6943A93.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 475215F5-9E3D-4533-881B-38C5F0BB93E0.jpeg
    475215F5-9E3D-4533-881B-38C5F0BB93E0.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 30EA6710-6FD2-4476-BE58-3FF2BA3134A8.jpeg
    30EA6710-6FD2-4476-BE58-3FF2BA3134A8.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 89
OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
He might be getting coloration on his beak?
I see that in normal cockateils
Never saw it on a pied
I honestly don’t know anything about different mutation of cockatiels so I’m really confused 😭 from what I’ve heard it’s apparently normal and He doesn’t appear to be sick 🤷‍♀️ (he’s had that mark for like a month or more, maybe he came with it and I just noticed it now.)

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Thanks for the reply! His poops are always normal looking with no green stain around and overall his behaviour and appearance look healthy (he’s active, happy and looks normal.) I have a question about when you mentioned “all seed diet:” We got him around 2 or 3 months ago and I don’t think he ever had veggies. So far, he likes spinach broccoli and parsley (he just licks everything else and doesn’t actually eat it.) I recently started making him bird chop but I don’t know how to make him actually eat a good amount daily :( I mixed his seeds in it but he only tries it a little bit then rejects the veggies, he’s very picky! He loves spinach A LOT though. Right now he mainly eats his pellets and some seeds the most, but it would be great if I can get him to eat veggies on a daily basis for a healthy life.

Below I have attached screenshots to some comments I’ve seen on “talkcockatiels” and Reddit and “birdavnue” regarding this, and all the pics of the people who posted their threads have the exact same thing on their tiel’s beak.
Oh and also one more thing! - He is the most attached with my younger brother (basically OBSESSED and incredibly clingy with him.) So, what he does is that he wants to eat anything my brother is eating even if he has never seen it. Like when my brother is eating popcorn he ALWAYS wants it or if my brother is eating eggs for breakfast he always wants him. We never give him anything he can’t eat ofc, but could we use this to our advantage to teach him to eat chop or something? (Just a thought 😂) ❤️

Is there a way my brother can show him that this is your food and you have to eat it or something?

Most Reactions