Black marks on eckie's beak

Jetstar86

Dec 21, 2021
Parrots
Eclectus parrot, Jet
Hi everyone!

I have a 6 month old Eclectus, Jet, and i'm a little concerned about his beak. We have a vet appointment scheduled for Thursday but I wanted some opinions before then so maybe I can stop stressing so much.

I got him as a 6 week old baby (he's not my first eckie baby) and he was fairly textbook. His beak started fading out the black and turning orange quite early, which is fine, but now some of the black has come back and i'm not quite sure why. The first two photos is from October and the other two are from this week.

His diet is fresh fruits and veggies mostly, plus chop that I make and freeze (veggies, wholemeal pasta, chick peas, lentils and some other things I can't think of right now) and it's the diet I feed all of my eckies. He's been fine on it since he weaned around mid September (hatch date is June 13th) and I don't give him pellets as they make him toe tap. He weighs a fairly consistent 401 to 405 grams.

Any suggestions as to what this is or what might be causing it?

jet9.jpgjet10.jpg
jettoys.jpgjetty1.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Don;t their beaks start out blackish and change to yellow? Could just be new beak growth? Certainly worth asking his avian vet.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I think the color change often happens up until their a year or more. I’ve not heard of black coming BACK, that’s a new one to me, but at 6 months he should still have some black he’s working through.

Most Reactions

Latest posts