Black mould

May 17, 2020
So in my bird room I realized that there is a tiny patch of black mould that's started to develop its greyish. How would I clean this without hurting the birds would F10 work.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
F10 can help with mold some (by preventing it from growing more at the right concentration), but it's not the best for it. You could try moving your bird and using something like oxiclean...I wouldn't use it in the same room with them, but that is what I used for some stuff in my basement. Peroxide will kill it generally as well, but it does seem to react chemically to certain things..I sprayed it in my basement on mold and it produced a new odor-- granted, I am not sure what the brick/paint is made out of, and so it could have also been a reaction to that.

It doesn't really have a scent, but it does release oxygen ions and I am just cautious when it comes to stuff like that. Before I realized that it could be a problem though, I soaked some antique linens in my bathtub for like 2-3 days with oxyclean in the water, and Noodles was fine (even though her cage was nearby). As an added precaution though, I would not have your birds in the room when you use it just because you never know how the mold may react etc.

There is mold that is black in color, and then there is very dangerous "black mold" (so you can have mold that is black, that is not actually "black mold"). If what you have is REAL black mold, you might want to consider a professional, but I doubt it's truly the super dangerous type. I had black and purple LOOKING mold in the coal shoot room in my basement). A microbiologist friend of mine took some scrapings and looked at them under a high-powered industrial microscope to find out what type they were. The mold was black, but it was not "black mold"....It can be tricky, but you sort of need to know what it is that you are dealing with.

This is from a mold cleaning company, so obviously it's got an agenda, but this is a decent overview: https://yourmoldsolutions.com/blog/mold-prevention-black-colored-black-toxic/

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Is there chance of additional "black mould" elsewhere, particularly behind walls? Potential widespread contamination in inaccessible areas would require a professional to assess and treat.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
So in my bird room I realized that there is a tiny patch of black mould that's started to develop its greyish. How would I clean this without hurting the birds would F10 work.

Grapefruit Seed Extract hun, you should be able to search it's dilution rate and application. :) I'd always remove birds when doing major cleaning just to be safe.

Unless the source of the problem is addressed it will come back. Is the room too humid, no fresh air, is damp penetrating; walls or floors? Damp and mould are not good for birds hun and it could potentially be a illness waiting to happen.

Last edited:
OP
S
May 17, 2020
Hi thanks everyone for the advice its grey in colour not black also it is a very small amount that for made because there was a rug that was up against that wall so I'm guessing that's why it managed to grow there. I was just wondering if I sprayed it with f10 and wiped it away that it wouldnt cause any spores or anything that would affect the birds. It would be impossible to move them cause the cages are huge and would be hard to get out through the tiny door. Lol

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If you spray it with f10, I wouldn't wipe it right away--it needs to stay wet and sit for like 10 minutes at a higher concentration in order to have an impact--I'd spray more than once too. I sprayed my shower curtain with f10 and noodles was right outside...It looked more like mold than mildew (what I was spraying) but idk-- it did seem to stop growth, but the "mold
needed to be removed manually.

Spores are SO tiny, that they are going to fly around in most cases, BUT, if you have a moldy fruit or something and toss it in the trash, that too spreads spores...It depends on the type of mold, but if it's fairly safe, your birds will likely be okay, assuming they are in good health and there isn't a ton of mold behind the wall etc..Fun tidbit of info: If you have moldy food to put down the drain, cover it in dawn or a soap and water solution before turning on the water directly over the dish---it helps create a seal and that keeps it from spraying mold spores.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
After you clean that area, you really need to take a long hard look at that room. The points made above regarding high humidity and/or a lack of air movement are true issues and need to be corrected to avoid a repeat...

OP
S
May 17, 2020
I understand why its cause it's been cold so I have kept windows and doors shut. But now I'm leaving the windows are doors open humidity isn't high in that room but like u guys said it likely lack of ventilation and that part of the wall being blocked off. I've tried my method of removing it but it seems stained to the wall paper so how would I go around removing it with birds in the room I'll try the other things mentioned above.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you have wallpaper involved, it needs to be removed. Commonly, an area up to one meter (40") from the outer edge of the effected area. Most contractors will recommend removing all the wallpaper on that wall. If in a corner, both walls.

Winter is not the time of year to open windows. Doors can be pulled too near shut and not fully closed to keep air movement up.

So, what is the humidity level in your home?

OP
S
May 17, 2020
Also I need to redo the wall paper in the bird room as it's quite boring and old. I was thinking of using a wall paper that looks like a jungle so it feels more wild for the birds. I will remove the birds when taking off and putting on the new wallpaper. How long would I have to keep them away from that room before returing them after changing the wall paper. As I understand with paint it's a week or so cause of chemicals how about wall paper.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Also I need to redo the wall paper in the bird room as it's quite boring and old. I was thinking of using a wall paper that looks like a jungle so it feels more wild for the birds. I will remove the birds when taking off and putting on the new wallpaper. How long would I have to keep them away from that room before returing them after changing the wall paper. As I understand with paint it's a week or so cause of chemicals how about wall paper.

That fully depends on the material the wallpaper is made of and the glue used. Some will allow you to move back in as soon as it is dry.

Where Are You? What is the Temperature and Humidity of the Room?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

As cute as the jungle sounds, I think it would zap the light from the room (unless you hand paint it and leave the skyline white etc and just add some leaves around the wall bases). I would go with something lighter, so as not to induce hormonal behavior...and for when it gets dark in winter etc.

Depends on the type of glue and paper you use, and how quickly you can suck up the powder/dust from the plaster/drywall.

VOCs come from many "new" objects--including inks, plastics, glues etc.
You can get VOC free stuff, but when looking for glue and paint without VOCs, also remember that the wall paper can have them.

YOU STILL will want your birds out of there for a few days because 0 VOC is not actually 0...and some low VOC paints actually have the same chemical amounts on their labels, despite differences in naming by company.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts