ogdusky

Apr 28, 2020
My conure injured his beak and was bleeding for a few minutes but has now stopped. He seems to be in pain and has trouble eating. Is there anything I can do to help his pain, or clean the blood with?
Also I tried to give him boiled vegetables, but he just pecked at it then left it, what other soft foods can I give him?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry to hear that your Parrot injured its Beak! For the next 48 hours, keep a weary eye on that area for any signs of bleeding.

Yes, highly likely that your Parrot has Pain as the base of the beak has a nerve bundle that can cause Pain if injured.

Not eating or only eating very soft food is a common reaction. The worst reaction is a refusal to eat, which is a rust to the Vet issue. The baby food selection at the food store is a good place to find a cross-section of possible foods. Also, create a mush from pellets can also be used.

FYI: After 48 hours, you can use water and a Q-tip to softly touch the area and by doing so, remove the crusted blood away.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You can try soft/preferred foods--- definitely let a vet know that this is going on. Plain oatmeal cooked with a mashed banana (and allowed to cool) could be something he/she might eat (but it isn't along-term solution). Baby food without citric acid/citrus is another temporary possibility. Is he/she drinking still? I know it can be hard to tell..

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
It may take a while heal. Do you know what caused the injury? jh

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
Due to a startle and crash accident, my grey fractured her beak years ago. Though the bleeding stopped, I did take her to the vet because she was so painful she needed pain medicine to be able to eat. She ate some handfeeding formula for a week and then soft foods like mashed potatoes and overcooked pasta for another week or so. She wasn't a fan of soaked pellets, but you could try that if your bird eats pellets. She didn't eat well. It seemed like a long time before she could eat regularly again. She gained back her lost weight once she was healed. Best wishes for a quick recovery for your conure.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Sorry to hear this! :( Do you know what caused the bleeding? I ask because if it's trauma, you might want to consider seeing a vet to address any possible infection or inflammation.

Hope your bird feels better. Let us know how it goes.

Most Reactions

Latest posts