Bleeding budgie - please help

Rosie77

Sep 27, 2019
Hi, I just discovered my budgie bleeding from his wing, after checking him for around 10 minutes I couldn’t find a blood feather and so I just put a lot of corn starch on it to try stop the bleeding. I’ve put him back in his cage and am keeping an eye on him. He’s acting normal but keeps preening the wound site which is kind of stressing me out as I don’t want him to make himself start bleeding again. I’ve looked around and found around 8-9 drops of blood but no blood feather so I don’t think he’s pulled it out. He’s acting fairly normal but it’s my first time dealing with this so naturally I’m quite stressed as obviously I don’t want to lose my baby boy. Anyone got any tips or things I could try or look out for?? The vets are closed as it’s a Saturday otherwise I would take him. Thanks.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family! I do wish it could be under better circumstances, however.

Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying that you never located where exactly the blood was coming from? That you just coated the general area with corn starch?

The fact that he's acting normal is a good sign, but of course I wouldn't completely relax until I saw a vet. A certified avian vet if at all possible. Especially since it seems you don't actually know where the bleeding is coming from. I know you said that it's Saturday and the local vet is closed, but if you revealed where in the world you are, one of our members might be able to direct you somewhere that would be open.

Are there any feathers that seem particularly bent out of shape? If so, you might want to check there as a possible source of the bleeding.

Smerft85

Jun 10, 2019
Colorful Colorado with colorful birds
Parrots
6 budgies, 3 cockatiels, 1 amazon and two Indian ringnecks
Bleeding from a wing make me wonder if he/she has been beating it up on the cage and created a sore, my male cockatiel did this A LOT before we changed his cage. Pictures may help too!

Most Reactions