Blood in stool after laying egg

meryl2513

Apr 8, 2020
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site so first of all just wanted to say hi!

I have a 10 month old female lovebird that just laid an infertile egg yesterday. I took away her nest, and she seems to be doing fine. She's eating and drinking normally and even comes out of the cage to play.

However, today I noticed under her perch there was blood near her stool. It's very light colored, but not droplets - more of a little puddle. I'm not sure if this is normal or not because this is her first time laying an egg. (I can attach a picture but didn't know if that was a bit TMI)

It's very hard to get an appointment because I'm in Los Angeles and because of corona most things are shut down. I was just wondering if this was a cause for concern? Obviously any sign of blood is not good, but she is acting completely normal so I was hoping it was just due to stretching possibly. Her vent doesn't look that swollen and she is passing stool regularly (they are larger now because she sits on the egg for a lot of the day).

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forum!

Understand that medical information from a Forum is worth exactly what you are paying for it!

It is not uncommon for a small amount of blood after laying an egg. The important part is how much and after a very short time, it stops. If you at this time are still seeing blood. Time to contact an Avian Professional. Birds have so very little blood, that loss some can be an issue.

Egg laying this young IMHO is a problem in and of itself.

With hope, one of our Breeders will be by with far more information.

Sorry that your Thread had been missed, sadly it happens from time to time.

With luck, this light bump will get your Thread noticed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your lovebird, thanks for joining. The situation you describe seems normal and Sailboat's advice is perfect. If the blood persists and/or she begins to act less than normal, might consider an appointment with a certified avian vet. Might take the vent a few days to return to normal size.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. You just received good information from 2 of our most well informed members, I hope you heed it. Just make sure to change the papers in her cage every day or more often, to see if the bleeding has stopped. Good Luck!

Most Reactions