Blue and Gold Breeder

Sarah.K

Jan 25, 2021
Hey everyone, I am rather new to this forum. I have a 2 year old eclectus but am looking to expand my flock. I am very interested in a B&G macaw. I am on the east coast and looking for great B&G breeder. I know that Wendy Craig was considered one of the best in the business in the US but retired a few years back. Where have people found the best socialized B&G macaws recently? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry that your Thread had been missed, sadly it does happen from time to time!

Consider a Rescue B&G as they are common in near every region of North America. The common reason people rehome their B&G's is their noise level! They are a very poor choice for someone living in an apartment or have neighbors that are near by. Understand that a large Mac can create noise levels equal to an unrestricted Boeing 707 jet engine during take-off.

A healthy B&G can easily live beyond 70+ years!

One of the advantages of a rescue is that you can allow the Mac to choose you! They are much better at choose then Humans! For them it is all about connection. Plus you are commonly dealing with an Adult and they are more what you see is what you get...

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Local Avicultural associations are always the best place to start, talk directly to the club President if possible as they always have a broad knowledge on which member has what birds and how good they are.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I'd agree 1000% with 'Boats above. By visiting as many sanctuaries and rescues as you can, you'll get a better appreciation of just how loud these guys can get, allows the parrot to pick you (always the best) and your mac will have his adult personality, which is soooo different than a babies. In fact getting a baby ie pre-puberty, can work against you, as many parrots push away from caregivers at puberty, much like human teenagers want nothing to do with Mom or Dad. By adopting a older bird, you avoid puberty, which is no joke, especially with a large parrot. It's the time in the parrots life where they are most likely to be rehomed or surrendered. And it's different for each parrot. Mine sailed thru puberty, but his first and second mating seasons were eye openers for sure.

Most Reactions

Latest posts