Blue and Gold Macaw

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello everyone, i have recently added a beautiful 2 year old blue and gold macaw to our family and am hoping i can ask for some advice. I got her 3 days a go and everything has been fine, she seems to enjoy her new home so far. She has been taking treats by hand and playing with her new toys and is very talkative often initiating conversation herself so i thought she was settling well (although early days yet).
I decided to let her out for a couple of hours to stretch her wings she stepped up onto my hand no problem and went onto her cage, since going to the top of her cage she has been screaming ALOT. I understand Macaws scream and i am fine with it but wondered why she only does it when she is out of her cage? She also gets abit nippy when she is out too! Have i let her out too soon or is she just testing me? Any help / advice would be appreciated

OP
R

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello everyone, i have recently added a beautiful 2 year old blue and gold macaw to our family and am hoping i can ask for some advice. I got her 3 days a go and everything has been fine, she seems to enjoy her new home so far. She has been taking treats by hand and playing with her new toys and is very talkative often initiating conversation herself so i thought she was settling well (although early days yet).
I decided to let her out for a couple of hours to stretch her wings she stepped up onto my hand no problem and went onto her cage, since going to the top of her cage she has been screaming ALOT. I understand Macaws scream and i am fine with it but wondered why she only does it when she is out of her cage? She also gets abit nippy when she is out too! Have i let her out too soon or is she just testing me? Any help / advice would be appreciated
Can anyone offer any advice please?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Macaws are all about bluffing and seeing what they can get away with ( most parrots do the latter too). Blue and Golds are especially noted for the bluffing part. You dont say what your experience with parrots is, prior to the new bird, which will influence how much members will respond. Totally new to parrots? Read evey single thing witten by member birdman666 on here, he is a macaw expert, and read the I Love Amazons thread on the Amazon sub form, which has TONS of good info for ALL parrots, not just amazons. So, a lot of reading for you and yours. These 2 resources are going help you enormously, even if you are experienced with parrots already.

OP
R

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello thank you for replying! My apologies i forgot to mention i have only ever had budgies in the past this is my first parrot.

Since my original post i now have a Java Tree stand which i have linked to her cage doorway with a rope to avoid the cage top, she did a similar thing with the screaming but not as bad. As i said I completely understand Macaws scream but she tends to do it alot more when out of her cage which is what confused me.

I think she just needs time but i was worried i did something wrong letting her on top of her cage which was making her scream. Birdman666 i have read is something of a legend with Macaws i believe, i read all the posts to try and gather as much info as i can to do right by the parrot. I completely ignore the screaming and then when she quietens and plays with her toys i reward her with a few treats, is this the best method?

Hopefully she will settle with time, i’ve added a picture of how her cage and play tree are set up

E2B8926A-3493-4F0E-942B-2C6DABFEACEF.jpeg

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome aboard! Lots of great information to be found here. I have a few thoughts in general, but nothing to offer as far as Mac specifics as I have no experience with them.

First off, congratulations! She's gorgeous!

Now, this is not your first parrot :) Budgies may be small in size, but they don't seem to know that. They have big personalities for sure, so they're no less a parrot than the larger species, just a different agenda as many different species tend to do. My ekkie and amazon may be similar in size, but their personalities and way of doing things are COMPLETELY different.

Now, at two years old, your Mac is still very much a baby, so things will change over time. Right now, you've had her less than a week, hardly a blip in a parrot's timeline. Your bird is barely beginning to understand her new life and place. Think in terms of a human toddler being torn away from everyone and everything they know. Good or bad, that's all she knows, so change is scary. This takes time. Sometimes a lot of time, depending on the individual. Just take things at her pace. Patience is your best friend here.

I'm thinking some of the screaming might be related to perceived safety. Her cage is her safe place, so she's more relaxed and secure. Out of the cage, she might be curious (which is a good thing at this point) but she's unsure of the new surroundings, people, and routine. Yes absolutely, she will test things as she figures everything out. Her screaming is likely part of the testing as she learns to communicate with you.

Hope this helps with some perspective. Again I'm no expert with Macs, so I'm happy to defer to folks with more specific experience.

Oh, more pictures please! We love to show off our featherey kids around here :)

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Make sure you learn her different calls and screams, especially the contact call. In the wild, macaws range far and have a mate with them. As they forage they let out a contact call to the other, almost like a "WHERE ARE YOU??" and the other responds :IM RIGHT HERE". If your mac is screaming when you leave the room, thats most likely when she will contact call for you. Develop a response! And then use it every time she calls for you. You'll find over time that doing this will cut down dramatically the screaming when you leave, but dont forget to call back, or she will think your lost and will constantly be screaming for you. BE CONSISTENT, so important when working with parrots.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your magnificent B&G! I'd say you are doing well given the brief period of what will be a lengthy "honeymoon" period. Expect at least four to six weeks of acclimation in very uneven manner! Use high value treats such as almonds or walnuts to encourage positive behaviors, expect occasional one-step back scenario. Respect the beak, but know macs far less likely to inflict pain/injury than most parrots. Love the cage filled with toys and playpen with rope access!!

Sigh.... screaming is common with macs, best you can do is avoid unintentionally rewarding with "discipline" efforts.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
don't forget you can add perches on the top and outside of cage too.
I use ceiling hooks rated by weight, and fishing ling to hang a swing or spiral perch above the cage so the bottom is at their head hight. Might as well as make use of that vertical space above a cage! Watch videos on teaching foraging, and get them busy doing that. It's a great way keep them happy and occupied, and reduce noise ;)

It can also be beneficial to have an outdoor aviary. Spending time outside safely can really improve mood. I have to secure the csfe and roll outside to shade and stay with them. But an hour outside usually leads to several quiet hours when we come back inside:)

Pattern to music, set yourself up for success when you need a couple hours of quiet. Offering a bath, then provide a forage toy they can pick out popcorn or some treat to keep them busy. Be sure to reward and praise and treats when they are quiet. And ignore loud. Set aside some time that being loud is OK. Getting them using words instead if screaming can be easier to take as well.

Always greet first thing in morning, always say goodbye when leaving and hello when you return. That helps them feel in control of what's going on. Have a flock call phrase, and always answer the flock call with the phrase. Sometimes you Initiati the flock call when you are out of sight to let them know you are still around.

OP
R

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Thank you for all you advice, i really appreciate it. We all say good morning first thing when we come down and say good night when we go to bed and when she talks to us through the day we always reply to her. When she is chilled and just climbing or playing with her toys we always give her a treat to hopefully enforce that kind of behaviour etc and if she does scream we do not react.

Yesterday was her best day yet she loved her new Java Tree and virtually never screamed, today however is a whole different story. She has screamed about 25 times in a period of about 4 hours and most of them screams have been whilst im sat in the room with her, we did the same thing with her today as the day before, she has been free out of her cage all day but decided the top of her cage was the best place today.

She is currently pacing back and fourth being quite vocal and screaming every few minutes. She has been doing this for about 15 minutes. I have posted some videos, could anyone offer any advice if this is normal behaviour, is she stressed / excited / annoyed or maybe just still adjusting? The videos show her pacing but the screaming comes in between a period or pacing like on the videos

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Gorgeous bird, nice video! Aside from constant motion, nothing remarkable about either video. Please be careful with access to what appears to be an entertainment center. Everything fair game for chewing.

OP
R

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Gorgeous bird, nice video! Aside from constant motion, nothing remarkable about either video. Please be careful with access to what appears to be an entertainment center. Everything fair game for chewing.

thank you for the reply Scott, so looking at the videos you don’t think there is anything wrong? Would you say it’s normal behaviour?

OP
R

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
To me it looks like she wants something and is not getting it. Attention or something she can't get to. What have you tried when she does this pacing back and forth?
When she does this i talk to her but she gets a bit bossy and sometimes will scream more if i talk to her when she is like this, I didn’t want to do too much as i was worried that it may enforce the behaviour?

Her cage is always left open when she is out so food, water and all of her toys are always available. Im trying to think of other ways to keep her entertained during the day, someone mentioned foraging toys maybe that might help occupy her.

Im just worried she is stressed / bored or even upset about something and I don’t want to ignore it and find there is an issue later down the line, i just can’t figure out what. The only thing i can link to it is she only does it when she gets on top of her cage 😞

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Is the pacing near constant or did you capture occasional bouts of action? Macaws tend to be rather active!

OP
R

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Is the pacing near constant or did you capture occasional bouts of action? Macaws tend to be rather active!

sometimes she will do the odd burst to get my attention but the episode i recorded went on for about 15 minutes. She has done a similar thing today, was quiet as a mouse in her cage just talking and playing on her swing and as soon as she got let out of her cage screaming on and off for about 45 minutes and more pacing 😞 feel like I’ve gone backwards with her and i would be gutted if its something i have (not) done

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This bird is new to the home? It seems like searching for previous owner or previous bird friend. It can take time for them to accept those from previous life aren't coming back...

I'd add some things to destroy on cage top.

And maybe take on a walk through the house and show them their friends aren't hidden from them anywhere

OP
R

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello and welcome! I also have a blue macaw! They might be "noisy" yes, don't be scared of screaming, they are so much overacting about everything, huh
Hello AliceD, I’m not scared of her at all its my youngest daughter that is petrified of her when she goes on an episode. If it was just me I wouldn’t mind so much. I’m more concerned that i may be missing something or not doing something i should be which is leading to this. As i have said in earlier posts it may be a setting in period but i want to be sure im doing the best i can for her

OP
R

Reevezie

Aug 21, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
This bird is new to the home? It seems like searching for previous owner or previous bird friend. It can take time for them to accept those from previous life aren't coming back...

I'd add some things to destroy on cage top.

And maybe take on a walk through the house and show them their friends aren't hidden from them anywhere
Yes she is new i have only had her just over a week, I’m totally patient etc i just want to make sure its not something i am doing or not doing that is causing it. I will add some toys on top of her cage to see if that helps, thank you for your advice

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
do take them on a house tour as well. Its a good idea fir any new bird. And might help her see no one else is around.
Beautiful bird and set up. Hope she settles soon
Pattern to music. Did I share the stress bird article?
If not here it is

Most Reactions

Latest posts